• 11th annual Silver Dollar Car Classic Car Show. Includes pancake breakfast, show and shine, Champion Speedway laps, Virginia City cruise and party; on Sunday event includes a pancake breakfast, poker run, silver dollar dinner and awards ceremony. Visit http://www.silverdollarcar.com or call 687-7410.
• Nevada State Prison Art Show, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the prison, 3301 E. Fifth St. Portion of the proceeds will be donated to Empire Elementary School. Public should bring picture ID, and do NOT wear blue jeans. Checks or money orders only; no cash. Refreshments available.
• Ride the Rails at the Nevada State Railroad Museum, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Call 687-6953.
• City Zu performs at the Carson Valley Inn, Minden through Sunday. Call 782-9711.
• Tommy Bell performs at the Carson Nugget Show Lounge through Sunday. Call 882-1626.
• Genoa Renaissance Fair, jousting, jugglers, belly dancers, music and more, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Tickets $6 adults, $5 children. Call Martha Williams at 782-4951.
• Wild Animal Infirmary for Nevada in Washoe Valley Open House, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Includes self-guided tour; no admission fee, donations accepted and are tax-exempt. Call 849-0345.
• Hot August Nights, cars, music and food from the ’50s and ’60s. An event you must see to believe, in Reno through Aug. 7. For information go online to: http://www.hotaugustnights.net or call 356-1956.
• “Cathouse Afternoon,” a musical by Will Rose, plays weekends through Aug. 20 at Pipers Opera House in Virginia City. For tickets call 1-800-468-2463 or go online at http://www.activitytickets.com.
• Carson City Search and Rescue Team fund-raiser, spaghetti dinner, silent auction and raffle at Fuji Park, 701 Old Clear Creek Road. Cost $6 adults, $3 children 12-younger. Dinner includes bread, salad and beverage; tickets at the door. To donate or for information, call Jeannette Ardinger at 841-7100.
• Capital City Summer Music Series, a free concert on the lawn of the Legislative Plaza, 5 p.m., features Northern Nevada Blue Grass. Call 687-7410.
• Custom Gardens organic farm Farmers Market, 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at 3701 Elm St., Silver Springs. Senior coupons accepted. Call 577-2069.
• Douglas County Public Library in Minden celebrates Harry Potter’s birthday at 6:30 p.m. Children age 7-older welcome. Registration required; call 782-9841.
• Hula Classes are starting in Carson City. Sign-ups will be at the Boys & Girls Club Gym. Cost is $25.00 a month. For more info, please call 775-443-9266.
• Carson City Chapter of Retired Public Employees of Nevada meet at 2 p.m. at the Senior Citizens Center. Guest speaker is Judy Saiz. Call 883-6334.
• Gold Hill Hotel Lecture Series features Debbie Senate on Psychics – What it is like and How to Avoid Rent-a-Psychic at 7:30 p.m. Buffet available from 5-7 p.m., $15 includes lecture; lecture only $5. Call 847-0111.
• 4-H Livestock Skillathon, 6:30 p.m. at Cooperative Extension office, 1320 Waterloo Lane, Gardnerville. Call Matt Gunderson at 784-6206.
• BLM Open House on Upper Colony Road Fuels Treatment Project, 7-8 p.m. at Smith Valley Volunteer Fire Station, 1 Hardie Lane, Smith. Call 885-6107.
• X Force performs at the Carson Nugget Show Lounge through Aug. 7. Call 882-1626.
• The BB Drifters perform at the Carson Valley Inn, Minden through Aug. 7. Call 782-9711.
• African Americans on the Comstock, a free brown bag lunch program with video from noon-1 p.m. at the Nevada State Museum, 600 N. Carson St. Call 687-4810, ext. 237.