August 25, 2005
• Carson City Mint Annual Coin Show, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Features nearly 40 dealers, free appraisals, gold panning, kids’ activities, food concessions and entertainment, raffle prizes and more. Call 687Ð4810, ext. 237.
• Ride the Rails at the Nevada State Railroad Museum, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Call 687Ð6953.
• Free seminar on gourd crafting, 9 a.m. at Greenhouse Garden Center, 2450 S. Curry St. Call 882Ð8600.
• Scrapbook Discovery Day at Michael’s Arts and Crafts, 911 Topsy Lane, Suite 211. Free projects and demonstrations. Call 267-1938.
• Champion Speedway auto racing, 1230 Race Track Road (off Bigelow), 7 p.m. Features Allstar Race Truck Series and several other classes of racing. Call 888Ð9777.
• Nevada Shakespeare Company presents “A Single Woman,” 7 p.m. a benefit for the Department of Peace Campaign, at United Religious Science Church, 675 Fairview Drive, Suite 218. Suggested donation $20; call Amy Smith at 230-5021.
Recommended Stories For You
• Demonstration of Coin Press No. 1 at the Nevada State Museum, 10:30 a.m. to noon and 1Ð3:30 p.m. with volunteers Ken and Karen Hopple Friday through Sunday. Call Bob Nylen at 687Ð4810, ext. 239.
• “Jazz Greats of Northern Nevada” display at the Carson City Library, 900 N. Roop St. Features photos by Carson City jazz enthusiast Pat Glancy through Aug. 31. Call 887Ð2244.
• Madison Avenue performs at the Carson Nugget Show Lounge, 9 p.m. Call 882Ð1626.
• Retroactive performs at the Carson Valley Inn, Minden, 9 p.m. Call 782Ð9711.
• The Genoa Bar hosts a “porch party,” 7-10 p.m. at 2282 Main St., Genoa. Features live music by Raw Nature of funk, rock and blues. Call 782-3870.
• Book signing with author Linda Chambers of “ABC Poetry,” noon-2 p.m. at The Book Den, 1328 Highway 395, Suite 305, Gardnerville. Call 783-1100.
• Active 20Ð30 Club Truck Pull, 3 p.m. at the Douglas County Fairgrounds. Tickets $10 adults, $6 seniors and kids ages 6Ð12, 5Ðyounger free. Call Ryan Albert at 450Ð1890.
• Benefit car wash for Silver Rose Manor senior living, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Smedley’s Oil and Tire on West William Street, Yerington. By donation; hotdogs and sodas available while you wait. Call (775) 423-4137.
• Western Shoshone BIA public meeting, 9 a.m. to noon at the Atlantis CasinoÐResort Convention Room, Reno.
• Saint Benedict Society of Corpus Christi Catholic Community hosts their ninth annual Ice Cream Social, 1Ð5 p.m. at the church, 5335 Snyder Ave. Includes food, ice cream, games, prizes and raffles for all ages; bingo for adults and a cash drawing. Proceeds benefit the building fund. Tickets available at the door or call 882Ð1967.
• Sierra Lyric Opera Studio presents Mozart’s opera “Don Giovanni” at 2 p.m. at Western Nevada Community College’s Marlette Hall, 2201 W. College Parkway. Tickets $12; call 445-4249.
• Douglas County Democratic Central Committee second annual Fun the Sun picnic/barbecue at noon at Round Hill Beach and Marina, Lake Tahoe. Cost $20 per adult, children 11-younger free; parking $5 per vehicle. Burgers provided; no-host bar available. E-mail RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 588-7143.
• Eighth annual Underwater Treasure Hunt at Sand Harbor. Check-in at 9:15 a.m.; entry fee $25 day of event, park entrance fee $8. Snorkeling begins at 10:30 a.m. Call 884-3483.
• Custom Gardens organic farm Farmers Market, 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at 3701 Elm St., Silver Springs. Senior coupons accepted. Call 577Ð2069.
• Gold Hill Hotel Lecture Series features a Musical History of American Folk Music with the Cool River Trio at 7:30 p.m. Buffet available from 5Ð7 p.m., $15 includes lecture; lecture only $5. Call 847Ð0111.
• Retreads perform at the Carson Nugget Show Lounge, 9 p.m. through Sept. 4. Call 882Ð1626.
• Shabang performs at the Carson Valley Inn, Minden, 9 p.m. through Sept. 4. Call 782Ð9711.
• Summer Farmers Market, 3:30Ð7:30 p.m. at the Pony Express Pavilion at Mills Park. Call 746Ð5024.
• Muscle Powered evening walk, 6:30 p.m. on Linear Park Loop. Park at Fremont Elementary School on Saliman Road. Call 885Ð2166.
• Carson City Symphony rehearsals begin from 7:15-9:30 p.m. at the Carson High School band room, 1111 N. Saliman. Openings for strings, clarinet, percussion and horn. Call 883-4154.
• Lampe Park Farmers Market, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. features baked goods, fresh produce, art, fresh flowers and plants and more. Call 782Ð9828.
• “A Moment for a Miracle,” benefit for Ida Temple, 8 p.m. at Comma Coffee, 312 S. Carson St. Features belly dancing, gift vendors, class and workshop information, raffle and silent auction. Call 882Ð5078.
• Paintings on Exhibit at WNCC Douglas Campus, paintings of Carson Valley Art Association members hang for a month at WNCC Douglas County Campus. All paintings are for sale. Public welcome to view exhibit.
• Dayton Farmers Market, 3Ð7 p.m. at Dayton Valley Floral, 209 Dayton Valley Road. Features vendors with fresh produce, crafts and more. Call 246Ð5296.
• “An Evening with Gershwin,” 7:30 p.m. through Saturday at Sand Harbor amphitheater. Features Sam Weber “fastest feet in tap.” Visit http://www.LakeTahoeShakespeare.com or call (800) 747-4697.
• 17th annual Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off at John Ascuaga’s Nugget, Victoria Square, Sparks through Monday. Features more than 30 cooks vying for the coveted title; 30 live bands including Collin Raye at 7 p.m. Friday on the Main Stage, Paul Thorn 7 p.m. Saturday Main Stage, .38 Special, 7 p.m. Sunday Main Stage, and Cracker, 3 p.m. Monday Main Stage. All shows free; plus vendors and more. Call 356-3428.
• Walter Daniels: Mining Series and Portraits art exhibit at Carson City Art Initiave’s Caffeine Gallery at Comma Coffee, 312 S. Carson St. through Sept. 30. Artist reception from 5-6 p.m. Sept. 7. Call 220-0940.