September 8, 2005
• Carson City musician Jackie Maye and other entertainers will present a concert at 10 a.m. at the Brewery Arts Center Performance Hall, 511 W. King St. Requested donation is $10 to benefit the disaster relief. Call 882-9571.
• Red Rose Musical Productions and Piper’s Opera House daylong event to benefit the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Musical guests include: American Phlats Band, Red Rose, Rhythm Doctors, Jeff Bloyd, Stoan E. Pickens, and many more. Requested donations of $5. Contact Sheree Rose at 847-7150.
• Bird Walk and Ranch Breakfast, 7:30 p.m. at Silver Saddle Ranch. Walk led by Nancy Bish of the Friends of Silver Saddle Ranch/Lahontan Audubon Society at 7:30 a.m.; breakfast at 9 a.m., free to friends of ranch, $3 Audubon members; $5 general public. Annual meeting of Friends of the Silver Saddle Ranch also to be held at breakfast. Call Bish at 884-1470.
• Fall Farmers Market from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Telegraph Square, corner of South Curry and Telegraph streets. Call 746Ð5024.
• Tea at the Roberts House Museum, 10:30 a.m. at 1207 N. Carson St. Features scones, toppings, fruit, tea breads and desserts. For reservations, call 887-8865.
• Carson City Democratic Women’s Club meets at 11:30 a.m. at Grandma Hattie’s, 2801 S. Carson St. Guest speaker Barry Smith, editor of Nevada Appeal. Call 841-6355 or 885-9917.
Recommended Stories For You
• Free seminar on planting bulbs now for summer color, 10 a.m. at Greenhouse Garden Center, 2450 S. Curry St. Call 882-8600.
• Annual Veterans Picnic at noon at Riverview Park, east end of Fifth Street. All veterans welcome. Sponsored by Disabled American Veterans Chapter 7, Carson City. Also United Blood Services blood drive; DAV offers a meal to all who donate at this location. Call 324-6454 for an appointment, or 841Ð3655.
• Home Sweet Home workshops at Lowe’s, 444 Fairview Drive. Includes neighborhood watch, living with fire and disaster preparedness, Sparkey the Dog, Smokey Bear, puppet show, volunteer recruiting for Northern Nevada Red Cross Chapter and more. Call 882-4410 or 881-2460.
• 12th annual Kids Auction and World’s Greatest Barbecue, 3 p.m. at the Pony Express Pavilion. Features Lee Greenwood in concert; a fundÐraiser for the Boys and Girls Club of Western Nevada. Tickets, information: 882Ð8820, 885Ð9000, 883Ð0900.
• Community Dance at the Carson City Senior Citizens Center, 911 Beverly Drive, 7-10 p.m. Free dance lessons by Thane Cornell from 6-7 p.m. Live music by the Sierra Swing Band. Cost of dance $6 per person; refreshments available plus no-host wine bar. Call 883-0703.
• Champion Speedway auto racing, 1230 Race Track Road (off Bigelow), 7 p.m. Features several classes of racing. Call 888Ð9777.
• Thunder Bowl Speedway Flattrack TT Scrambles in Mound House. Gates open at 5, racing at 7 p.m. Includes beginner to expert, kids, proÐpayback races for motorcycles, vintage bikes and quad ATVs. Call 233Ð6636.
• Book signing with author Patricia Murphy, “Cats/Canines Can Communicate,” noon-2 p.m. at The Book Den, 1328 Highway 395, Suite 305, Gardnerville. Call 783-1100.
• “Comstock Cares,” a day of music, music, music from 1-9 p.m. at Piper’s Opera House, Virginia City. Donation $5. Musical guests include American Phlats Band, Red Rose, Rhythm Doctors, Jeff Bloyd, Stoan E. Pickens and more. Call 847-7150.
• High Desert Horsemen hold a ride/drive at 10 a.m. at Lake Lahontan, potluck held after ride. Visit http://www.hdhorsemen.org or call Tiffany Boggs at 577Ð4817.
• Brandi Carlile performs at 9 p.m. at the Tahoe Biltmore Breeze Nightclub, Crystal Bay. Admission $10 day of show; call (530) 583-2801.
• Topaz Community Church Quilt and Craft Show at Topaz Ranch Estates Community Center on Carter Street, plus Blood Drive, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. For appointment to donate blood or hang quilt or for a craft table, call (775) 266-4129 or (775) 266-3886.
• Minden Arts and Crafts Fair, sponsored by Minden businesses Saturday and Sunday. Entertainment and crafts. Call 782Ð2444.
• INT Amateur Wakeboard Challenge, 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday at Topaz Lake. Features more than 60 amateur athletes will compete in various age and ability levels. Parking fee $6; registration open day of events. Call 782-8144.
• 24th annual Great Reno Balloon Race at Rancho San Rafael Park, Reno through Sunday. Friday’s Mass Ascension is at 6:45 a.m.; Saturday and Sunday Glow Show and Dawn Patrol, 5 a.m. Visit http://www.renoballoon.com or call 826Ð1181.
• David Proud performs at the Carson Nugget Show Lounge through Sunday. Call 882Ð1626.
• Senior Games 2005 is open to people age 50 years and over through Sept. 17. Activities will be held in Lake Tahoe, Minden, Gardnerville and Carson City, hosted by the Douglas County Senior Center. There will be a variety of competitive events including golf, weightlifting, track and field, tennis, bowling, basketball and many other sporting and fun events. Call 783Ð6455.
• Paintings on Exhibit at WNCC Douglas Campus, paintings of Carson Valley Art Association members hang for a month at WNCC Douglas County Campus. All paintings are for sale. Public welcome to view exhibit.
• Amy Clawson performs at the Carson Valley Inn, Minden through Sunday. Call 782Ð9711.
• Reggae artist Sizzla performs at 9:30 p.m. at Caesars Tahoe Showroom. Tickets $25 in advance; call (530) 583-2801.