Calendar of events
• California Retired Public Employees Association of Nevada meets at 11:30 a.m. at Grandma Hattie’s Restaurant, 2811 S. Carson St. Guest speaker is Alan Glover, Carson City clerk/recorder. Elections will be held with installation by Ted Thatcher, Area VII director. Call 674-6449.
• “Discover the Challenges of Railroading in South America,” a free presentation by David Bell at 7 p.m. at the Nevada State Railroad Museum. Call Bob Harmon at 687-8323.
• Carson Valley Desert Brushes meets at 6:30 p.m. at the Johnson Lane Fire Department on Stephanie Way. New painters and beginners welcome; call 883-7917.
• Candidates forum, 5-7 p.m. at CVIC Hall, Minden. Sponsored by Douglas County Professional Education Association.
• Dayton Area Chamber of Commerce hosts Carson City Mayor Ray Masayko at 7:30 p.m. at the Dayton Casino Steakhouse. He will speak on the V&T Railroad.
• USS David W. Taylor DD551 61st reunion in Carson City through Friday. Friday night banquet at the Carson City Elks Lodge 2177. Guest speaker is Mayor Ray Masayko.
• Michael Mandella performs through Sunday at the Carson Nugget Show Lounge; no cover. Call 882-1626.
• Retroactive performs through Sunday at the Carson Valley Inn Cabaret Lounge, Minden. Call 782-9711.