Calendar of Events
• 12th annual Kit Carson Trail Ghost Walk, features a 90-minute walk with ghost stories and characters from Carson City’s past and present. Tours begin at 9:30 a.m. from the Nevada State Museum and depart every 30 minutes until 2:30 p.m. Tickets available in advance from the Carson City Convention and Visitors Bureau, 1900 S. Carson St., or call 687-7410.
• Make a Scarecrow at the Children’s Museum of Northern Nevada, 813 N. Carson St. Bring old clothes, hats, gloves, scarves, overalls and your imagination; free with paid admission ($3). Call 884-2226.
• AYSO soccer teams, Skin Cancer Awareness Foundation and Sun Safe City Program sponsors “Bowling for Sun Safety,” 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Carson Lanes. Open to all ages; includes child fingerprinting, booths and exhibits. Call 267-4328.
• “Witches Stomp” community dance, 6:30-9:30 p.m. at the Carson City Senior Citizens Center, 911 Beverly Drive. Live music by The Tunetoppers; admission $6 per person; free dance lessons one hour before dance. Refreshments available; call 883-0703.
• “Light Up the Night” a dance performance by the Brigham Young University Ballroom Dancers, 7:30 p.m. at the Carson City Community Center, 851 E. William St. Call 883-2784.
• Family Support Council of Douglas County Annual Barn Dance and Barbecue, 6 p.m. at the Douglas County Fairgrounds. Live music by Exit 22. Tickets are $10 per person or $25 for families and are available at Family Support Council office or at the door. Call 887-2480.
• Downtown Genoa’s second annual Fine Art Show, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Sunday. Free admission, raffle prizes available. Call 450-3156.
• Minden-Douglas Elks Lodge No. 2670 monthly pancake breakfast, 9 a.m. to noon at the lodge, 1276 Pit Road, Gardnerville. Cost $4 adults, $2 children 11 and younger. Bingo after breakfast for those 21 and older.• Daughters of the American Revolution Annual Northern Nevada Chapters luncheon, 11 a.m. at the Piñon Plaza Resort, will honor Dixie Lee Judge.
• Citizens for Affordable Homes “Volunteer Weekend” in Dayton through Sunday. Take Highway 50 East to Retail Road (just past Smith’s), follow signs to job site. Register at 7:30 a.m., work from 8 a.m. to noon, lunch provided, work ends at 4 p.m. Bring hammer, nail bag if available, measuring tape; wear boots, gloves, long pants and sunscreen. Call 883-7101.
• Carson City Symphony opening concert for its 21st season, 4 p.m. at the Carson City Community Center, 851 E. William St. Features cellist Stephen Framil. Admission $12 general, $10 CC Symphony Association members and seniors; free to 16 and younger. Call 883-4154.
• Oktoberfest fund-raiser, 2-5 p.m. at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, 1837 Mountain St. Features Oom pa pa band headed by Curt Fremont, Cory the Clown, food, drinks, carnival games and a petting zoo with the 4-H Club. Tickets $5 per person or $20 for family of four or more (children 2 and younger are free). Call 882-5252.