Nominees sought for Arts Awards
The Nevada Arts Council and the Office of the Governor seeks nominations for the 26h Annual Governor’s Arts Awards. Initiated in 1979, these awards recognize outstanding and enduring contributions to Nevada through artistic achievement, commitment and service to the arts.
Nomination packets must be in the Carson City office of the Nevada Arts Council no later than 5 p.m. on Tuesday. Nominees and nominators must be current Nevada residents or organizations/businesses that work in and for the benefit of Nevada.
Up to a total of five awards will be given:
• Excellence in the Arts: Artists and arts-producing organizations whose work has made a significant impact in their fields.
• Excellence in Folk Arts: Artists or groups carrying on a traditional art form within their cultural heritage.
• Service to the Arts, Organizations & Individuals: Organizations and individuals who have demonstrated a long-term innovative leadership resulting in significant contributions to the arts in Nevada.
• Service to the Arts, Businesses and Patrons: Businesses and patrons who have sustained and enhanced the arts in their community and/or the state through contribution of time, effort or financial resources.
• Arts and Education: Schools, individuals, organizations or businesses that have made significant contributions through leadership and creativity to advance arts education in Nevada’s schools and communities.
For guidelines and nomination packets or information, contact the Nevada Arts Council at 687-6680 or visit the Department’s Web site at http://www.NevadaCulture.org.
West coast cruise topic of travel club meeting Monday
The Silver Sierra Adventures Travel Group will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at the Carson Nugget.
Guest speaker will be Brenda Cozzo, discussing the west coast cruise on board the Diamond Princess of Princess Cruise Lines.
For information call Harriet Post, 882-2671.
Story time, music and more offered this week at children’s museum
Moms can bring their 3- to 5-year-old preschoolers to the Children’s Museum of Northern Nevada for arts, crafts, story time, music and healthy snacks. The class, taught by Penny Holbrook, is from 8:30-10:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Cost is $10 a day for museum members and $15 a day for nonmembers.
The class is limited to 12 so call 884-2226 to register or for information.
Swim club hosting rummage sale
The Carson Tigersharks will hold a benefit rummage sale from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. today at the Carson City Aquatic Center, 841 N. Roop St.
The sale features shabby chic, furniture, jewelry, sports equipment, clothing, shoes, household items and kid stuff.
For information, call 883-3300.
Fast and easy painting class at senior center
John Romanko, a certified instructor in the Bill Alexander Method of Fast and Easy Wet on Wet Painting will conduct a class from 12:30-4:30 p.m. Monday at the Douglas County Senior Center, 2300 Meadow Lane in Gardnerville.
The fee is $35 which includes everything you will need to complete and take home a painting suitable for framing.
For reservations or information, call 783-6455.