Man accused in child molestation, mother’s assault
October 7, 2002
Darren John Sweetland, a 36-year-old phone technician, was arrested at 1:50 p.m. Saturday for suspicion of felony sexual assault of a minor under the age of 14, felony assault with a deadly weapon, gross misdemeanor false imprisonment and misdemeanor battery.
According to the police report, a deputy was called to Carson-Tahoe Hospital where he found both victims.
The child told the officer the man, who is known to the family, forced
himself on her Friday night while her mother slept on the couch.
Hours later, when the mother awakened, the child told her what happened.
When the mother confronted the man, the report states, he threw her onto
Recommended Stories For You
the bed, pinned her with his knees “then put a knife to her throat (and)
told her he would kill her.”
Sweetland was arrested the following day at Telegraph and Nevada streets.
His bail is set at $275,605.
Trending In: Opinion
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’