Mandarin Almond Salad
• 4 Tablespoons sugar, divided
• 1/2 cup slivered almonds
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 2 Tablespoons vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
• 1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
• 1 bunch red leaf lettuce, torn
• 1 can (11 ounces) Mandarin oranges, drained
• 1 small red onion, sliced
In a small skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of sugar over low heat. Add almonds and stir until coated.
Cool; break into small pieces and set aside. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and remaining sugar; shake well.
Just before serving, combine the lettuce, oranges, onion and almonds in a large salad bowl. Shake dressing; pour over salad and toss.
Yields 4-6 servings.