Obit for Virginia Castello
September 26, 2002
A funeral for Virginia Castello, 87, will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Freitas Rupracht Funeral Home with the Rev. Paul McCollum officiating.
Mrs. Castello died Sept. 20 at the Highland Manor Care Center in Mesquite. She was born March 30, 1915, in Brooklyn, N.Y., to Frank and May Flynn.
She married Vernon Castello in Yerington. He preceded her in death in 1990.
During World War II, Mrs. Castello was a certified nurse’s aid for the Red Cross. After the war she worked for several advertising agencies in New York City before moving to Nevada in 1946. She and her husband ran the family ranch until 1987.
She was a member of the Nevada State Cow Bells, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Soroptimist Club, Farm Bureau, St. Ann’s Guild and the Holy Family Catholic Church. After her husband’s death, she became a volunteer at the Yerington Intermediate Resource Center.
Among her survivors are her daughters Colleen Costello of Yerington and Michele Buonamici of Reno; three grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Recommended Stories For You
She will be buried next to her husband in the family plot of Valley View Cemetery.
Trending In: Opinion
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand