Obituary: Bert ‘Sparky’ Sparks
April 17, 2002
A graveside service for Bert “Sparky” Sparks, 86, a former Northern Nevada resident for 50 years, will be at 1 p.m. Monday at Desert Memorial Gardens in Silver Springs.
Mr. Sparks died April 10, 2002, in Sacramento, Calif. He was born June 9, 1915, to Orville and Mabel Buckingham Sparks.
He served as a volunteer firefighter in Wadsworth, Fernley, Virginia City and Silver Springs and was the first paid firefighter in the history of Virginia City. He was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Silver Springs.
He was preceded in death by his wife Jerry.
Among his survivors are his children Verna and Vern and brothers Norman of Idaho and Richard of Vallejo, Calif.
O’Brien-Rogers & Crosby Funeral Home, Reno, is in charge of arrangements.
Trending In: Opinion
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel advocates, opponents turn eyes to 2019 Legislature