Obituary: Harry B. Murphy
August 20, 2002
An open memorial service for Harry B. Murphy, 83, a former Carson City resident for many years, will be at 1 p.m. Sunday at the United Religious Science Church.
Mr. Murphy died Aug. 8, 2002, in Parowan, Utah, of complications from pneumonia. He was born Nov. 28, 1918, in Portland, Ore., to Harry and Irene Murphy.
He attended Reed College in Portland.
Mr. Murphy had a 29-year teaching career at various grade levels from elementary to community college. For 25 of those years, he taught high school chemistry, biology and history in Oxnard, Calif.
He had a life-long interest in learning, spiritual enlightenment and travel and visited many places on the European and Asian continents.
His sisters Margaret Tidyman of Fresno, Calif., and Mary Catherine Anderson of Portland, Ore., preceded him in death.
Recommended Stories For You
Among his survivors are his children Thomas Murphy of Salem, Ore.; daughters Theodora Bar-El of Jerusalem, Israel; Deborah Murphy-Brooks of Ojai, Calif., and Leah Murphy of Portland; sister Elizabeth of Bellingham, Wash., and five grandchildren.
Memorial contributions may be made to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, 5001 Angel Canyon Drive, Kanab, Utah 84741-5001.
Trending In: Opinion
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel advocates, opponents turn eyes to 2019 Legislature