Obituary: LaFern Klena
April 2, 2002
A memorial service for LaFern Klena, 83, a Carson City resident for the past 24 years, will be at 4 p.m. April 9 in the chapel at St. Teresa of Avila Catholic Church.
Mrs. Klena died March 26, 2002, three months after the death of her husband of 61 years, Rudy Klena. She was born May 7, 1918, in Chicago to Fred and Pauline Prokaski.
Before moving to Carson City, she lived in Westmont, Ill., for more than 60 years where she and her husband owned and operated Rudy’s Sport Shop. She was a member of the Ladies Auxiliary No. 9267 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and she was a loyal and faithful fan of the Chicago Cubs.
In addition to her husband, she was preceded in death by her sister Irene Shaver and son Gary.
Among her survivors are her children Nancy and Colin Soong and Sue Meriwether of Carson City; son William and Karen Klena of Clarendon Hills, Ill.; brother Arthur Prokaski of Arvada, Colo.; sister Betty Elledge of San Diego and grandchildren Tamara Soong and Ken Thunder, Andrew and Sarah Soong and Logan and Garrett Merriwether.
Burial will be at Clarendon Hills Cemetery in Darien Ill. following a service at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Westmont.
Recommended Stories For You
Walton’s Chapel of the Valley is in charge of arrangements.
Trending In: Opinion
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sisolak delivers State of the State on Wednesday
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel advocates, opponents turn eyes to 2019 Legislature