Off the couch
• Fridays @ Third Street, 7 p.m., features country rock music with Hired Help, plus food, 224 S. Carson St. Call 884-4411.
• Misfits Theater Group of Dayton performs “The Love Child, or Mysteries of Cosmic Awareness,” 8:30 p.m. at Odeon Hall, upstairs at Mia’s Swiss Restaurant today and Saturday. Tickets $8; call 246-9622.
• “Cathouse Afternoon” dinner theater, 6 p.m. today-Saturday, noon on Saturday and Sunday, Mandarin Gardens Chinese Theater on C Street, Virginia City. Dinner seating $25 adults $20 youth, lunch $15 adults, $12.50 youth. Reservations requested; call 847-7150.
• “Day’s Rays,” a photography exhibit by Day Williams at the Brewery Arts Center, 449 W. King St. Call 883-1976.
• Carson High School Football Team Annual Car Wash, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at ARCO AM/PM, corner of North Carson and East William streets. Minimum donation $5; call 882-1452.
• Carson-Tahoe Hospital Auxiliary ’50s-style fund-raiser for the Carson-Tahoe Cancer Center, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., of a private auto collection, 3075 College Drive. Tickets $25; call 885-4140 or 783-1760. Information: 882-0254.
• St. Benedict Society of Corpus Christi Catholic Church Bingo, 11:30 a.m. at the church, 5335 Snyder Ave. Bingo starts at 12:15 p.m.; must be 21 to play. Concessions available, free coffee and popcorn. Call 882-1967.
• Barbecue fund-raiser at noon at Rupert’s Auto Body, 2800 S. Curry St., to assist agencies that lost equipment in the Waterfall fire. Bank representatives will accept donations. Call 883-4484.
• The Sierra Nevada Ballet performs at 5 p.m. on the Legislature lawn.
• Beach Party Bingo, 3-9 p.m. at Telegraph Square in downtown Carson City. Features a live band, live remote, free games for adults, prizes, food booths, shaved ice, airbrush tattoos, volleyball, bikini contest and more. A fund-raiser for Soroptimist International of Carson City. Call 883-2211, ext. 107.
• Cruising and Cabernet event, noon-3 p.m. at Tahoe Ridge Winery and Marketplace in Genoa. Features tasting of wine, beer and treats, classic car display and giveaways. Call 783-1566.
• An Evening of Wine and Roses, 6-9 p.m. at Sierra Nevada Golf Ranch, Genoa. A fund-raiser for Northern Nevada Railway Foundation and Make-A-Wish Foundation. Tickets $50; includes wine tasting, silent auction, hor d’oeuvres and live music. Call 885-7200.
• Free community ice cream social, noon-2 p.m. at “Our Park” in Dayton. Features free ice cream, cake, pie and lemonade; sponsored by the Dayton Area Chamber of Commerce. Call 246-7909.
• Swiss Independence Day celebration at Mia’s Swiss Restaurant in Dayton. Includes 26-member yodeling and Alpenhorn group from Switzerland. Tickets $37.50; call 246-3993.
• Northern Nevada Australian Shepherd and Quick Silver Dog Show, 8 a.m. Saturday and Sunday at Fuji Park. Call 883-7651.
• ICS qualifier Chili Cook-off fund-raiser, 11 a.m. Saturday and Sunday at Glen Eagles Restaurant, 3700 N. Carson St., for the Carson-Tahoe Cancer Center. Features live music by Craig Fletcher and Band, food and drinks. Call 884-4414.
• Eighth annual Genoa Renaissance Faire, downtown Genoa on Nixon Street. Features live performances, music, food and more. Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call 782-4951.
• Wild Animal Infirmary for Nevada Open House, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Self-guided tours; 2920 Eagle St., Washoe Valley. Call 849-0345.
• Carson City Recreation Triathalon, 9 a.m. at Mills Park. Call Kurt Meyer at 887-2243.
• Public picnic for all who responded to the Waterfall fire, noon-3 p.m. at the Legislative lawn on South Carson Street. Free hamburgers, hot dogs, watermelon and drinks (donated by Smiths, Safeway, Scolari’s, Raleys and Albertsons). Donations accepted to be used for reforestation. Call Mark Frady at 883-8897.
• The Mile High Jazz Band performs at 5 p.m. on the Legislative lawn.
• East Fork Gallery in Gardnerville 25th anniversary celebration, noon-5 p.m. Includes original-artwork display, refreshments. Call 782-7629.