Off the couch
October 7, 2004
• World Championship Outhouse Races in Virginia City. Barbecue and Outhouse Drag Races begin at 5 p.m.; preregistration and technical inspections available. Barbecue at Sugarloaf Mountain Motel, 434 S. C St., with live music and dancing. Parade at 9:30 a.m. Saturday on C Street; racing begins at 10:30 a.m. Call 847-0311.
• “The Sound of Music,” presented by Tahoe Arts Professional Theatre in Residence and Nevada Civic Light Opera, 7:30 p.m. today-Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday at the Carson City Community Center, 851 E. William St. Tickets $15, all general admission.
• “Clue, The Musical,” 7:30 p.m. today-Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday matinee by the Brewery Arts Center and Carson Performing Arts, 449 W. King St. Tickets $20 general, $15 for members, students, seniors. Call 883-1976.
• Organist Roger Nyquist in concert at 7:30 p.m. at Trinity Episcopal Church, 200 Island Ave., Reno. Bus from Carson City planned. Tickets, information, call Jane Theiss at 882-9517.
Recommended Stories For You
• Presbyterian Church Rummage Sale 8 a.m.-noon, 306 W. Musser St. Call Joan Brown, 267-1371.
• Soroptimist International of Carson City third annual Stroke for Help Fight Breast Cancer Golf Tournament at Eagle Valley Golf Course. Sign-in at 8 a.m., 9 a.m. scramble. Cost per player $75 includes green fee, cart and steak and chicken barbecue lunch. Call Dixie Busch at 882-3051.
• Fallen firefighters honored at 2 p.m. at the Nevada Firefighters Memorial in Mills Park. Call 326-6309.
• Laureate Alpha Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi Annual Yard Sale, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., 2047 Evergreen Drive, Carson City. Includes household items, clothing and miscellaneous items. Call 841-2630.
• Carson City Rifle and Pistol Range, 400 Flint Drive, closed for cleaning. Volunteers needed, cleanup begins at 8 a.m. Call 887-2115, ext. 1003.
• Disabled American Veterans “Vans for Vets” Poker Run, open to all motorcycle and car enthusiasts. Registration 9-11 a.m. at Carson City Harley-Davidson, 2749 N. Carson St. Barbecue included in registration fee, $25. Prizes, T-shirts and fun. Proceeds benefit DAV Van Fund. Call Jim at 841-3655 or 882-7433.
• Creative Crew, a video production workshop, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Brewery Arts Center, 449 W. King St. Cost $60 per person; call 883-1976.
• Seeliger Elementary School’s annual Pumpkin Patch Festival, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the school, 2800 S. Saliman Road. Includes games, booths, raffles, cake walk, dunk tank, super slide, hundreds of pumpkins and more. Call 283-2200.
• Community Information Fair, noon-4 p.m. at Lowe’s on Fairview Drive. Call 881-2460, ext. 371.
• American Indian saddlemaking demonstration, 1-4 p.m. at the Nevada State Museum, 600 N. Carson St. Features Shoshone artist Spider Teller. Regular museum admission applies; call 687-4810, ext. 237.
• John Nilsen in concert at 7:30 p.m. at the Brewery Arts Center Performance Hall, 511 W. King St. Tickets $12 members/students/seniors, $15 general. Call 883-1976.
• Mare Castro Band performs at 9 p.m. at Decades Bar and Grille, 1475 Hot Springs Road. No cover; 21-older. Call 883-8889.
• Carson Valley Pops Orchestra free Fall Concert, “From Broadway to The Beatles,” 7 p.m. at CVIC Hall, Minden. Refreshments after show. Call 265-2841.
• National Trust for Historic Preservation 2004 Honor Award presented to Fourth Ward School Foundation, 5 p.m. at Fourth Ward School, Virginia City. Dinner at 7 p.m., $50 donation per person; reservations recommended. Call 847-0975.
• Mia’s Swiss Restaurant 16th annual – and last – Oktoberfest. Swiss-style buffet dinner and entertainment from oom-pah-pah band with Hans Keller, kappellmeister. Cost $29. Reservations call 246-3993 or 246-0446.
• Douglas Animal Welfare Group hosts an open house at the Douglas County Senior Center, 2300 Meadow Lane, Gardnerville, for their “Pet Partners for Seniors” program, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dogs and cats will be available for adoption. Program assists with adoption fees, spay/neuter costs, obedience training and supplies. Call 267-4177.
• West African singing, drumming and dancing workshop, noon-5:30 p.m. at Marcia Sarosik’s Dance Studio, 2107 James Ave., South Lake Tahoe, presented by Mabiba Baegne from the Congo. Cost $50 for all workshops; call (530) 577-5827.
• Rick Springfield performs at John Ascuaga’s Nugget. Tickets $37; call 356-3300.
• Free travel-packing demonstration, 4 p.m. at Borders, 911 Topsy Lane, with Barbara DesChamps. Call 267-0755.
• Virginia City Community Celebration, 1 p.m. at Fourth Ward School, Virginia City. Includes open house, tour and viewing of 2004 Honor Award. Call 847-0975.