Off the Couch
October 20, 2004
• Western Nevada Performing Arts performs a “Tribute to Broadway,” 7 p.m. at the Carson City Community Center, 851 E. William St. through Saturday. Includes tunes from “Grease,” “42nd Street,” “A Chorus Line” and more. Call 250-4806.
• “Clue, The Musical,” 7:30 p.m. through Saturday, by the Brewery Arts Center and Carson Performing Arts, 449 W. King St. Tickets $20 general, $15 for members, students, seniors. Call 883-1976.
• Behind-the-scenes tours at 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at the Nevada State Museum. Advance reservations required due to limited space; call Deborah Stevenson at 687-4810, ext. 237.
• An Evening of Celtic Music, The Jack Shipley Benefit Concert, 7 p.m. at Comma Coffee, 312 S. Carson St. Tickets $12 at the door; proceeds benefit Jack “Bodie” Shipley to purchase hearing aids. Call 883-9351.
• “Ghosts and Scavenger Hunt,” 8 p.m. to 10 a.m. Saturday at Piper’s Opera House, Union and B streets, Virginia City. Cost $40 per person; light snacks and beverages provided. Wear comfortable clothing, bring sleeping bag, flashlight, camera and courage. Reservations, information: Maureen Hepner at 847-0433.
Recommended Stories For You
• A Touch of Class Craft Show, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. today-Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, 1467 Glenwood Drive, Gardnerville. Visit http://www.ATouchofClassNV.com.
• 12th annual Kit Carson Trail Ghost Walk, features a 90-minute walk with ghost stories and characters from Carson City’s past and present. Tours begin at 9:30 a.m. from the Nevada State Museum and depart every 30 minutes until 2:30 p.m. Tickets available in advance from the Carson City Convention and Visitors Bureau, 1900 S. Carson St., or call 687-7410.
• Make a Scarecrow at the Children’s Museum of Northern Nevada, 813 N. Carson St. Bring old clothes, hats, gloves, scarves, overalls and your imagination; free with paid admission ($3). Call 884-2226.
• AYSO soccer teams, Skin Cancer Awareness Foundation and Sun Safe City Program sponsors “Bowling for Sun Safety,” 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Carson Lanes. Open to all ages; includes child fingerprinting, booths and exhibits. Call 267-4328.
• “Witches Stomp” community dance, 6:30-9:30 p.m. at the Carson City Senior Citizens Center, 911 Beverly Drive. Live music by The Tunetoppers; admission $6 per person; free dance lessons one hour before dance. Refreshments available; call 883-0703.
• “Light Up the Night” a dance performance by the Brigham Young University Ballroom Dancers, 7:30 p.m. at the Carson City Community Center, 851 E. William St. Call 883-2784.
• Family Support Council of Douglas County Annual Barn Dance and Barbecue, 6 p.m. at the Douglas County Fairgrounds. Live music by Exit 22. Tickets are $10 per person or $25 for families and are available at Family Support Council office or at the door. Call 887-2480.
• Downtown Genoa’s second annual Fine Art Show, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Sunday. Free admission, raffle prizes available. Call 450-3156.
• Carson City Symphony opening concert for its 21st season, 4 p.m. at the Carson City Community Center, 851 E. William St. Features cellist Stephen Framil. Admission $12 general, $10 CC Symphony Association members and seniors; free to 16 and younger. Call 883-4154.
• Oktoberfest fund-raiser, 2-5 p.m. at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, 1837 Mountain St. Features Oom pa pa band headed by Curt Fremont, Cory the Clown, food, drinks, carnival games and a petting zoo with the 4-H Club. Tickets $5 per person or $20 for family of four or more (children 2 and younger are free). Call 882-5252.
• Minden-Douglas Elks Lodge No. 2670 monthly pancake breakfast, 9 a.m. to noon at the lodge, 1276 Pit Road, Gardnerville. Cost $4 adults, $2 children 11 and younger. Bingo after breakfast for those 21 and older.