Off the couch
December 9, 2004
• Annual Share Your Holiday Food Drive, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Governor’s Mansion, 606 Mountain St. Volunteers needed; call 883-7654.
• Capital City Arts Initiative’s Caffeine! Gallery artists’ reception, 5-6 p.m. at Comma Coffee, 312 S. Carson St. Call 287-2252.
• Carson City Democratic Women’s Club and Central Committee Holiday After-Election Bash, 5:30-11:30 p.m. at the Casino Fandango. Cost $27.50, features all-you-can-eat seafood buffet, dancing and no-host bar. Seating limited; call 841-DEMS or Sandy Osheroff at 885-9917 for reservations.
• “The Tale of Oliver Twist,” 7:30 p.m. tonight, 2 p.m. Saturday-Sunday at the Brewery Arts Center, 449 W. King St. Presented by the BAC and Carson Performing Arts. Tickets $8 general; $7 SBC members, students, seniors; and $6 children. Call 883-1976.
• First United Methodist Church fourth annual, live Drive-thru Nativity, 6:30-8:45 p.m. today-Sunday, at the corner of Musser and Division streets. Enter from Fifth Street to Curry, then west on King, follow the procession and dim your headlights.
Recommended Stories For You
• Sierra Nevada Ballet performs “The Peanutcracker, The Story in a Nutshell,” 7 p.m., free, Carson City Community Center, 851 E. William St. Call 783-3223.
• Teen Game Day at the Douglas County Public Library, Minden, 3-7 p.m. Pizza and soda provided. Call Maria at 782-9841.
• Douglas County Parks and Recreation Departments sponsors a Teen Dance for grades 6-8, 7-9:30 p.m. at the Douglas County Fairgrounds Building. Includes DJ plus food and refreshments. Students must be picked up by 9:30 p.m.; $5 per student, ID required. Call 782-9828.
• Carson Valley Community Food Closet Holiday Food Drive, sponsored by Douglas Disposal. Residential customers are asked to place nonperishable food items next to their trash can or drop off at 1504 Highway 395, No. 10 today only. Call 782-5713.
• Western Nevada Community College hosts the touring art exhibit “Nevada Now: The Visual Artists Fellowship Award Exhibition,” in the College Gallery. Call 445-3238.
• Crimsonelement and four local youth bands in concert, 5 p.m. at The Connection, 801 Overland Loop, Suite 208, Dayton. Cost is $5; call 246-8445 or http://www.tcofdayton.com.
• Christmas Craft and Bake Sale open house, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 410 E. Park St. Items include fudge, peanut brittle, Christmas cookies, homemade crafts and more. Bring a nonperishable food item and get a free raffle ticket for a plate of goodies; food donated to Calvary Chapel for Christmas food drive. Call 841-1329.
• Carson City Recreation Division Junior Ski Program registration, 9 a.m. to noon at the Carson City Community Center, 851 E. William St., Sierra Room; for ages 9 (or fourth grade) to 18 years. Cost $217 (equipment not included). Call 887-2290, ext. 100.
• 17th annual Santa Train offers free rides from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Nevada State Railroad Museum, 2180 S. Carson St., plus open house of the museum. Call 687-6953.
• Greenhouse Garden Center hosts the Madrigal Singers from Douglas High School, 1 p.m., 2450 S. Curry St. Call 882-8600.
• Carson City Senior Citizens Center’s Christmas Dance, 7-10 p.m. at the center, 911 Beverly Drive, dance to the live music of Tahoe Dance Band. Includes no-host bar. Cost $6. Call 883-0703.
• American Legion High Desert Post 56 and Auxiliary Unit 56’s second annual Christmas party, 6-8 p.m. at Veterans Hall, corner of Curry and Second streets. Traditional ham dinner with all trimmings served; $5. Call Ramona for reservations at 885-7585.
• Home 4 The Holidays Adoption event, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Douglas County Animal Shelter, 921 Pinenut Road, Gardnerville; sponsored by Douglas Animal Welfare Group. Call 782-3770 prior to event; day of event, call 782-9061.
• Carson Valley Pops Orchestra annual free Christmas Concert, 7 p.m. at the CVIC Hall, Minden. Quilt to be raffled; refreshments. Call 782-7459 or 267-9363.
• Community concert hosted by a capella group Relaxed Fit, 7 p.m. at St. Gall’s Church in Gardnerville, 1343 Centerville Lane. Features Douglas High School Madrigals, Carson Valley LDS Church Third Ward choir and Gall Stones. Call Jody Jarvis, 265-3790.
• Dayton Valley Veterinary Hospital offers free pet photos with Santa, noon-2 p.m. Accepting gifts as an Angel Tree drop-off location for ages infant to teen, 14 Enterprise Way. Call 246-7775.
• Carson City Symphony’s 21st annual Holiday Treat concert, 4 p.m. at the Carson City Community Center, 851 E. William St.; opening performance at 3:15 p.m. by the Carson High School Brass Quintet. Refreshments available; tickets $12 general, $10 seniors, students and Symphony Association members, free ages 16-younger; available at the Brewery Arts Center or at the door. Call 883-1976 or 883-4154.
• Annual Remembrance and Candle-Lighting Service for anyone who has lost a loved one, at 6 p.m. at Walton’s Chapel of the Valley, 1281 N. Roop St. Call 882-4965.