Pages from the past
September 14, 2007
120 YEARS AGO
The authorities took into custody a Spanish woman who had been disorderly for several days and threatening to cause the streets of her neighborhood to run with the blood of her enemies. She will appear before Mr. Witherell [a judge] today.
100 YEARS AGO
Sam P. Davis has experimented at the Larkswood ranch with artesian well boring and has lately finished three wells which are flowing above ground. The combined flow of the wells is more than 100 gallons a minute.
70 YEARS AGO
The receipt of six new inmates at the Nevada State Prison brought the population of Nevada’s penal institution to the new high record of 230, according to Warden William Lewis.
Recommended Stories For You
50 YEARS AGO
The Nevada desert, site of many an abandoned settlement, has sired a 20th century “ghost town.” It is a town of the present and future – complete with modern underground parking garages without cars, huge doors leading to nowhere, and futuristic domes emerging from a landscape almost as barren as the moon. This is a “Survival Town'” – a community dedicated to its own destruction as a test site for atomic blast affects on various shelter-type structures. (Constructed by the Federal Civil Defense Administration in cooperation with the Atomic Energy Commission.)
20 YEARS AGO
Tim Morsani, president of Capital Ford-Mercury, has announced the recipients of the first month’s donation to local charitable organizations. Receiving a check for $325 was the “Saferide” program. Second recipient was “Friends of the Library.”
10 YEARS AGO
James Hogan, of the state health division, said people should not eat fish caught anywhere from Dayton to the Lahontan Dam. According to state health officials, fish in the lower Carson River show mercury levels more than eight times what is safe.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Opinion
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit