Past Headlines Sept. 22
August 30, 2007
Headlines from a year ago:
Murder suspect to be extradited
Accused of murdering Sheila Harris in 1982
A former Carson City maintenance man in jail on the Caribbean island of Trinidad is expected to be back in the United States within four weeks to face a charge of murder in the 1982 slaying of a Gardnerville teen.
Carson City District Attorney Noel Waters said he got word Wednesday that David Winfield Mitchell, 60, did not file an appeal of an order of extradition issued Sept. 4 by a Trinidad magistrate.
Update: Mitchell was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole on Sept. 10.
Recommended Stories For You
State losing millions in insurance tax collections
Auditors say the state of Nevada is losing millions in uncollected insurance premium taxes, and a senior state senator blames the Legislature.
Deputy Auditor Shannon Ryan told lawmakers Thursday that a sample review of 57 insurance companies discovered errors totaling $17.1 million for tax years 2000-2004. Given there are 1,700 companies registered with the Insurance Division, Legislative Auditor Paul Townsend said the actual loss in uncollected revenue may be much higher.
Trending In: Opinion
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand