Past headlines Sept. 30
August 30, 2007
Kathy Augustine’s husband charged with murder
The husband of the late Nevada Controller Kathy Augustine was arrested in Virginia on Friday and charged with her murder after an FBI toxicology test found a paralyzing drug in her system.
Chaz Higgs, 42, was arrested in Hampton, Va., on a warrant issued in Reno charging him with first-degree murder, Reno police spokesman Steve Frady said. Higgs apparently was driving there to visit his father and stepmother, who live there, investigators said.
The warrant was issued Wednesday afternoon, just hours after a coroner’s autopsy and results of toxicology tests showed evidence of the drug succinylcholine in Augustine’s system.
Woman dies in Dayton wreck
Fire chief questions 65 mph speed limit: ‘We’re sick of this.’
Recommended Stories For You
A Fallon woman was killed Friday morning in a head-on collision in Dayton.
Ruby Beghtel, 83, was pronounced dead at the scene of the 9:18 a.m. crash in the westbound lanes of Highway 50 East between Occidental Drive and Six Mile Canyon Road.
According to Trooper Nick Nordyke of the Nevada Highway Patrol, Beghtel was westbound in her maroon Subaru wagon when she was struck head on by an eastbound red Saturn SUV driven by Christine Borremans, 18, of Stagecoach.
Trending In: Opinion
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand