Past Pages 11/21
November 16, 2007
120 YEARS AGO
The demand for the “Nevada Cook Book” is so large that all of the first edition is nearly snapped up. The ladies have worked hard to make both ends meet with their first book publishing venture, and should be assisted in sales by the press fraternity. If there is any growling done, it should be directed to this office.
100 YEARS AGO
Word reached here tonight of the murder of Barney Griffin and his partner James Connors a few miles from Stimler in the Silver Peak District. The bodies of both men were horribly mutilated their heads being beaten in and the remains burned in their cabin. The coroner and sheriff have gone to the scene and bloodhounds are being prepared in pursuit of the perpetrators.
70 YEARS AGO
Freshie, one of Carson’s best known dogs, is dead. Although Freshie was 12 years old last St. Patrick’s Day, his passing was not due to old age, but to an incurable growth on his neck that was slowly choking him to death. Many Carsonites still talk about the happy companionship of a boy and dog delivering newspapers on the early morning paper route.
Recommended Stories For You
50 YEARS AGO
Joyce Marks, of Carson City high school, was the winner of the Reno junior chamber of commerce “Voice of Democracy” contest, it was announced by Clifton Young, contest chairman.
20 YEARS AGO
Friday’s official launching of a fundraising drive to build a new Carson City Chamber of Commerce building is underway. With the local Railroad Museum, the dream of having a revitalized Carson City is underway.
10 YEARS AGO
The Carson City Supervisors discussed the future of Roop Street at a meeting recently. Roop Street is evolving from a residential area to more of a commercialized district with the addition of an office building at 755 N. Roop.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Opinion
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection