Past pages 12/22
December 17, 2007
120 Years Ago
The story comes from the Lake that a wild man has been found at Emerald Bay. His body is covered with long black hair, and he lives by spearing fish. The stage driver brings the story down from Glenbrook.
100 Years Ago
Word was received from Governor Sparks that the chief executive was not as well as desired and was unable to leave his home at Alamo ranch. He was suffering from an acute attack of neuralgia in his head and face and is suffering much pain. The trying trip to Goldfield completely broke the official down and he has been confined to his home ever since.
70 Years Ago
Happenings in Carson Valley: A large number of highway engineers rushed out from Carson Saturday to survey the damage. A little short guy stepped into a hole and for a time all that could be seen was his cap.
Recommended Stories For You
50 Years Ago
White Christmas can’t be seen by Hank Monk: “What about a white Christmas?” he was asked. The veteran stage driver only shook his head. “Can’t see any storm of any kind stirring up anywhere in the west till after then,” he reported, “But don’t throw away your chains and snow tires yet; she may be rough early next year.”
20 Years Ago
Nellie O’Neil celebrates her 101st birthday at the Cottonwood Care Center. Nellie is a Hills Business College graduate who worked outside the home while raising a family.
10 Years Ago
Laura Adler’s home at 308 North Nevada Street was chosen by Carson City Redevelopment District as the winner of the Victorian Christmas Decoration Contest. “She has entered almost every year and this is the first time she has won,” said Shirley Adshade-Sponsler, the special events coordinator.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Opinion
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’