Past pages 1/6
December 28, 2007
120 YEARS AGO
Hal Clayton’s Beard – He was a gambler by profession and when he died of fever was buried in a vault in the cemetery and his body placed in a costly metallic casket under a glass case. His wife placed her diamond on his shirt front, and posted a watch at the tomb. A few days ago, George Dobbs, who has the care of the cemetery visited the tomb. He was astonished to find that Clayton’s beard and had grown under the glass until it reached below his knees.
100 YEARS AGO
H.H. Achey was being chased by an angry mob intent upon lynching him. He quickly made his way from Rawhide to Mina and gave himself into custody of Constable McLeod. He confessed that he had shot one man and beaten another over the head with a revolver. All this over a disputed mining claim.
70 YEARS AGO
University of Missouri Professor offers definitions of many slang terms: hard study – nuzzle, buffalo, spook, knuckle; failure – flunk, goose-egg, can, take a ride; intoxication – lush, spiked, to be far ahead, pie-eyed, looped; flirtation – calico, lounge lizard, heavy cake, tea hound, prom trotter, cookie pusher.
Recommended Stories For You
50 YEARS AGO
Dr. James Thom, of Carson, was reappointed county health officer and Robert Howard reappointed superintendent of the county farm. Another Carson City doctor, Henry Stewart, was appointed health officer for Douglas County last week to succeed the late Dr. Ernest G. Hand.
20 YEARS AGO
Advertisement: “Jack and the Beanstalk” appearing at the Carson City Community Center sponsored by Brewery Arts Center.
10 YEARS AGO
Former Hollywood producer Aaron Russo leads in the race for the seat that Gov. Bob Miller is vacating. Russo’s campaign finance report shows he raised $37,600 in outside funding, and $266,000 of his own money.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Opinion
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- 4 Northwest Nevada solar projects proposed