September 7, 2007
120 YEARS AGO
The Nevada Indians who went over the mountains to pick hops in California have followed the trail back full of grunting discontent. They say: “Too muchee hop one pound. All day no catch.” They were doubtless the victims of the new metric system of weights and measures, adopted about Auburn.
100 YEARS AGO
The latest fatality report from bubonic plague in San Francisco shows that 19 people have succumbed to the “black death.”
70 YEARS AGO
Advertisement: “Wings Over Honolulu” with Wendy Barrie and Ray Milland – Girls! You’ll love this dashing trio in uniform!”
Recommended Stories For You
50 YEARS AGO
Exemplar members of Beta Sigma Phi sorority held its first meeting of the fall season at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Jones. Present were Mesdames Frans Benson, Kenneth Jones, Donald Wallace, Otto Benham, Jack Slansky, Carl Shannon, Donald Crosby, Lester Groth, Elwood Smith and Misses Genevieve Shoe, Mayadelaide Palmer, Katherine Van Sickel and Cora Austin.
20 YEARS AGO
Photo caption: Sophie the clown teases Joshua Dealy, 11, of Carson City by wrapping ribbons around his head at the seventh annual Special Day for Special Kids at the Governor’s Mansion.
10 YEARS AGO
Carson River fish show mercury levels more than eight times safe levels according to State health officials. People should not eat fish caught anywhere from Dayton to the Lahontan Dam. This caution especially applies to children and pregnant women.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Opinion
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sisolak delivers State of the State on Wednesday
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel advocates, opponents turn eyes to 2019 Legislature