December 21, 2007
120 Years Ago
Mint Director Kimball, in his annual report to congress, devotes several pages to the Carson Mint. “It becomes my duty to recommend for the good of the Mint service, that the mint at Carson be finally closed…”
100 Years Ago
Oh, That Mine (to be changed with deep feeling to the tune of “Clementine.”) “In a canyon known as Wall Street; where the brokers do combine; works a broker like a stocker; raising money for a mine. Oh, my broker, oh, my broker, oh, my broker, sleek and fine; I had hoped to win some shekels, NOW, I find that you won mine. Smart he is, and very foxy; and his smile is most benign; he has autos without number; and his yachts are very fine…”
70 Years Ago
Advertisement: “Carson Theatre Ð ‘100 Men and a Girl’ with Deanna Durbin and Adolf Menjou. One show starting at 8 p.m.
Recommended Stories For You
50 Years Ago
Births: Mr. and Mrs. Warren Williams are parents of a boy weighing 10 pounds born December 18 at Carson-Tahoe Hospital, named Steven Raymond.
20 Years Ago
Photo caption: Douglas County stands to inherit the old H. F. Dangberg Home Ranch just south of Minden, where generations of Dangberg descendants have resided since the 1850s. Douglas County officials plan to make a pioneer heritage center out of the ranch.
10 Years Ago
The Carson City Nugget has been giving away free dinner on Christmas Day for 40 years. The event drew more than 1,000 people.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Opinion
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Murder suspect in U.S. illegally, authorities say
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit