Past Pages Oct. 3
September 27, 2007
120 YEARS AGO
Dr. H.J. Smith of San Francisco will be at the St. Charles Hotel on the 6th and 7th. He is a popular lecturer on diseases of the male and female, nasal Catarrh and its cure, and diseases of the eye. He will be fully prepared to examine and commence treatment of all chronic and special diseases.
100 YEARS AGO
The first stag party at the Sagebrush Club was pulled off last night as a kind of great success. At the pool table was Tom Work, who won first prize and E.B. Yerington with second prize. Tonight the second games of the tournament will take place with contestants Casson versus Davis and Fradsham versus Bordewick.
70 YEARS AGO
When the duck hunting season opens Nov. 1st, Carson Valley hunters are looking forward to a better season than expected for some time due to ample water flooding natural breeding grounds after a protracted drought.
Recommended Stories For You
50 YEARS AGO
A 1864 “variety show” will take the place of the 1864 Ball at the annual Nevada Day Parade as part of this year’s festivities. It will, however, precede the “grand march” at 10 p.m. Gov. Charles Russell and Mrs. Russell will lead the grand march for the traditional dance.
20 YEARS AGO
Carson City aide to then U.S. Sen. Paul Laxalt and former member of the Nevada Gaming Control Board William “Bill” Sinnott died Sunday at his home. He was 71. A former newspaperman in Pennsylvania, Sinnott was noted by Laxalt for his achievements in politics to Sinnott’s calm and wise counsel.
10 YEARS AGO
The new manager of the Ormsby House, Bob Cashell, is planning re- striping the parking lot, replacing curbs and replacing burned out light bulbs in the parking structure. “We’re cleaning the place up,” Cashell said.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Opinion
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand