Past Pages Sept. 12
September 7, 2007
120 YEARS AGO
The boom of real estate in Lower California has not caused as much excitement among the Carsonites as the fact that Olcovich Bros. are going to commence selling at auction their elegant and well selected stock of goods to the highest bidder without reserve, for cash.
100 YEARS AGO
Alfred Chartz, well known attorney, had a narrow escape from a serious accident in Dayton. Between Mound House and Dayton the county road crosses the railroad track. As the train appeared, Mr. Chartz jumped from the buggy to save himself but clung to the lines. The approaching train frightened the horse and it dashed across the track clearing it and saving Chartz.
70 YEARS AGO
A new Greyhound supercoach, “cruiser type” bus – of the most modern and comfortable kind available to the traveling public will soon be named in honor of Carson City, capital of Nevada. The name “Carson City” will be lettered on the outside of the bus, on the panel of the entrance door and will be a permanent fixture on one of the many new cars which the company will place in service over the various Western highways of the Pacific Greyhound system.
Recommended Stories For You
50 YEARS AGO
The annual PTA reception for teachers will be held according to president Mrs. Louis Acaiturri. In charge of the reception are Mrs. O. W. White and Mrs. Herb Winchester, hospitality; and Mrs. Richard Petty, refreshments.
20 YEARS AGO
Photo caption: Jamie Heckman of Virginia City displays a scared face while atop his camel during the 27th annual International Virginia City Camel Races.
10 YEARS AGO
Pendery A. Clark, Douglas County School Superintendent has been named Nevada State Superintendent of the Year. “I feel greatly honored,” Clark said. “It’s always an honor to be recognized by your peers.”
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Opinion
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders