Police arrest man in Saliman Road drive-by
August 1, 2002
The victim of a shooting last year on Airport Road which left him hospitalized for months was arrested Tuesday night in connection with a drive-by shooting on Saliman Road early Saturday morning.
Gabriel “Bobby” Munoz, 28, of Dayton, was arrested at 11:10 p.m. at Saliman Road and Heather Court for suspicion of the following felonies: attempted murder with a deadly weapon, battery with a deadly weapon, discharging a firearm at an occupied vehicle and discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle.
A warrant originally issued for Munoz’s 24-year-old brother Ceasar was recalled Monday.
According to police reports, at 12:30 a.m. Saturday Salvador Maldonado, 22, and Jose Escobar, 21, were traveling east on Highway 50 near Mills Park when they allegedly saw Munoz in a Ford Bronco next to them flashing “gang signs.”
Maldonado then turned onto Saliman Road and was followed by the Bronco, he told police.
When he came to a stop at Saliman Road and Robinson Street, the Bronco pulled up beside them and Munoz allegedly opened fire with five shots, one of which struck Maldonado in the hand.
Recommended Stories For You
Munoz allegedly fled the scene.
Maldonado was treated by paramedics for the injury to his hand. Escobar suffered a grazing gunshot wound to his back, according to authorities.
Munoz is being held on $100,000 bail. He was also charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia, no registration and no proof of insurance.
More than a year ago, Munoz was shot once in the back and once in the thigh following a fight April 30, 2001, with Rigoberto Vega-Aquilar on Airport Road.
He subsequently underwent five operations to repair the damage to his leg.
At one point doctors feared he would lose the leg to amputation.
Vega-Aquilar was charged with attempted murder, but when Munoz failed to show up at the preliminary hearing, the District Attorney’s Office was forced to reduce the charges.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Anne Langer said Vega-Aquilar agreed to plead guilty to gross misdemeanor conspiracy to commit battery with a deadly weapon, one-year in jail and to pay restitution for the medical bills.
Trending In: Opinion
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sisolak delivers State of the State on Wednesday
- Cab driver held for DUI, Carson City Sheriff’s Office says
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’