SILVER DOLLARS AND WOODEN NICKELS: A fond farewell to Sheep Dip
January 12, 2019
Silver Dollars and Wooden Nickels is a weekly feature in the Appeal's Opinion pages in which the Appeal gives Silver Dollars to those who deserve recognition and occasionally a Wooden Nickel to those who deserve criticism.
SILVER DOLLAR: We bid a fond farewell to Sheep Dip. The 55-year-old annual roast of Nevada will come to a close after it is held this weekend at Reno's Eldorado Theater. The show has provided more than $500,000 to local charities during its run.
SILVER DOLLAR: To Lynn Zonge, who has been selected by The Carson Water Subconservancy District to receive the 2019 Andy Aldax Carson River Watershed Award for Exemplary Service in Conservation and Protection of the Carson River Watershed.
SILVER DOLLAR: To be fair, we will give a Silver Dollar to Carson City's courteous drivers, who we still believe represent the majority. But …
WOODEN NICKEL: For the second time we have to give a Wooden Nickel to those Carson City's drivers who aren't so courteous. Crashes and just plain bad driving continue to be a problem in Carson City, so we urge drivers to be careful, especially when winter conditions become more challenging.
Trending In: Opinion
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit