SILVER DOLLARS AND WOODEN NICKELS: Reaching for the stars
August 17, 2018
Silver Dollars and Wooden Nickels is a weekly feature in the Appeal's Opinion pages in which the Appeal gives Silver Dollars to those who deserve recognition and occasionally a Wooden Nickel to those who deserve criticism.
SILVER DOLLAR: To the Western Nevada College Foundation for its Reach for the Stars Gala at Jack C. Davis Observatory to raise money for student scholarships, academic programs and the observatory.
SILVER DOLLAR: To 2017 Carson High graduate Bryce Moyle, who had an outstanding season pitching for the Walla Walla (Wash.) Sweets in the West Coast League in summer college baseball. Moyle just completed his freshman season at Washington State this past spring.
SILVER DOLLAR: To Shane Quilling (posthumously), Ferd and Gino Mariani, Ray Sanchez and Jon Stewart, who are all being inducted into the Carson High Football Hall of Fame today.
SILVER DOLLAR: To Chad Hicks, who has been appointed director of elementary curriculum, instruction and assessment (ECIA) in educational services for the Carson City School District.
SILVER DOLLAR: To Ildemaro Vargas for his 35-game hitting streak, which came to an end last Sunday for the Reno Aces in the Pacific Coast League in baseball.
Trending In: Opinion
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Murder suspect in U.S. illegally, authorities say
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit