May 20, 2005
• National MS Walk-a-thon, 7 a.m. to noon at Mills Park Pavilion A. Call Linda Lott at 329-7180.
• Running for Pride event. Cadets from Western Nevada Community College Police Officer Academy run at 8 a.m. from WNCC to the Peace Officer’s Memorial at the Legislative Plaza and back. Call 445-4408.
• American Legion Auxiliary Unit garage sale, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 29 W. Sunset Way. Includes small appliances, kitchen ware, baby items, clothing, furniture and more. Call 265-6982.
• Spring Farmers Market from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Telegraph Square, corner of South Curry and Telegraph streets. Call 746-5024.
• Carson City Recreation Skateboard Tournament, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Mills Park. Call Scott Keith at 887-2290, ext. 101.
• Free gardening seminar “Let’s Talk Tomatoes” at 11 a.m. at Greenhouse Garden Center, 2450 S. Curry St. Call 882-8600.
Recommended Stories For You
• A Spiritual Approach to Health Care, 11 a.m. at the Carson City Senior Citizens Center, 911 Beverly Drive, presented by Margaret Rogers, a Christian science practitioner and healer. Call 883-2178.
• An afternoon of bingo and friendship, 11 a.m. at Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 5335 Snyder Ave. Sponsored by St. Benedict Society, early bingo begins at 11:30, regular bingo at 12:15-2:30 p.m. Cash and raffle prizes offered, plus 50/50 drawing. Concessions available; must be 21-older to play. Call 882-1967.
• BAC Stage Kids present “We The People” at 7 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday at the Brewery Arts Center, 449 W. King St. All seats $5; call 883-1976.
• Western Nevada Musical Theatre Company presents musical “Beauty and The Beast,” 7:30 p.m., 2 p.m. matinees today-Sunday at the Carson City Community Center, 851 E. William St. Tickets $18 general, $16 students and seniors, $14 youth 17-younger. Call 445-4249.
• The Tommy Bell Show performs at the Carson Nugget Show Lounge through Sunday. No cover; call 882-1626.
• Sidro’s Armada performs at the Carson Valley Inn, Minden through Sunday. Call 782-9711.
• Dog Town Rescue monthly adoption event, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at PetCo on Topsy Lane. Visit http://www.dogtown.petfinder.com or call (775) 934-5774.
• American Legion Post 56 and Auxiliary Unit 56 installation of officers, 2 p.m. at Veterans Memorial Hall, corner of Second and Curry streets. All members welcome to attend; buffet luncheon served, call Ramona Long for reservations at 885-7585 or Donna Duncan at 882-7276.
• Special Commemoration Dinner for the Ron Wood Family Resource Center 10-year anniversary, 6:30 p.m. at the Piñon Plaza Resort. Tickets $100 per person or $700 for table for eight. RSVP to Sharlea Payne at 884-2269. Proceeds benefit programs at the center. Donations accepted at 212 E. Winnie Lane.
• Carson City Raceway at Fuji Park arena features AMA Pro Speedway, youth speedway, pee wee speedway, pocket motorcycles, bicycle races, econobox drags and kids versus kops “Beat the Heat” challenge. Pits open at 5, main gate at 6, racing at 7 p.m. Call 882-2460.
• Champion Speedway auto racing, 1230 Race Track Road (off Bigelow), 7 p.m. Features Desert Rose 100 and several other classes of racing. Call 888-9777.
• Tempest performs at 7:30 p.m. at the Brewery Arts Center Performance Hall, 511 W. King St. A modern folk-rock band. Tickets $15 general, $12 members, students and seniors. Call 883-1976.
• Great Highway 50 Community Yard Sale, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Features old-fashioned pancake breakfast from 7-11 a.m. at Old Time Cafe, $3 per person, 10196 Highway 50 E., Mound House; barbecue lunch at 2nd Place parking lot from noon-3 p.m.; poker run, scavenger hunt, e-waste drive and special kids booth. Call 246-1779 or 721-9552.
• Pancake Breakfast benefit from 8-10 a.m. at the Dayton Branch Library, 321 Old Dayton Valley Road, for the library’s summer reading program. Cost $5 per person; kids who sign up for the program eat for free. Call 246-6212.
• Operation Jigsaw – Reservation Only project, 9 a.m. at Comstock Historic District Office, South C. Street, Virginia City. Call 847-4710 or 847-7711.
• Battle of the Bands at 6 p.m. at Piper’s Opera House, Virginia City. Features bands from Carson City and Reno including Mnemonic, Reason One, Broken Salvation and Adapt to Torment. Classic rock band Woody’s performs at 9 p.m. Tickets $10 general, $6 students, kids and available at the door. Call 847-0433.
• Wildflower Walk and Talk, 9-11 a.m. at Washoe Lake State Park. Meet at main picnic area; $4 per vehicle charge to park. Some uphill walking; wear appropriate shoes. Call 687-4319.
• Brain Power Community Learning Center Wise Ears Open House, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Brain Power, 1617 Water St., Suite F, Minden. Open to the public. Call 782-4256.
• Free workshop on “Caring for Your Loved one While Caring for Yourself,” 10 a.m. to noon at Douglas County Senior Center, 2300 Meadow Lane, Gardnerville. Lunch provided; free to family caregivers of persons with dementia. Call 784-4335.
• Reno Renegade Sams Chapter of Good Sam Club Adopt-A-Park cleanup day at Washoe Lake State Park group camping area, 10 a.m. Public welcome. Call 687-7678, ext. 3328.
• Nevada Civil War Volunteers recreate history from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Bowers Mansion in west Washoe Valley. Guided tours available of mansion, 4005 Old U.S. Highway 395; adults $5, seniors $4, children $3. Call 849-0201.
• Fernley Republican Women meet at 9:30 a.m. at the Truck Inn, Fernley. Call (775) 575-4058.
• Northern Nevada Australian Shepherd Dog Agility Trials, 8 a.m. at Fuji Park today and Sunday. Call Carrie Dempsey at 883-7651.
• Heritage Fun Benefit, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday at Heritage Park, Gardnerville. Includes raffle of 2005 Fatboy Harley-Davidson, arts, crafts, live music, poker run and more. Call 265-6998.
• Lyon County Fly-In and Air Fest from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Silver Springs Airport. For information, go to lyoncountyflyin.com or silverspringsairport.com. Call 887-1294 or 246-7909.
• 4-H Poultry Club at Fuji Park Fairgrounds Exhibit Hall. Call Sandy Wallin at 887-2252.
• Carson City Sertoma annual charity Golf Tournament, 8:30 a.m. shotgun start at Dayton Valley Golf Club. Fee $100 per player includes cart, barbecue, tee prizes and other prizes; proceeds to speech and hearing-impaired children. Call Rick Ghigliari at 883-9212.
• Trail Trials at Washoe Lake State Park, 11 a.m. Sponsored by Nevada All State Trail Riders; includes 8 miles with 8-10 obstacles for horse and rider. Entry fee $30 adults, $20 children 16-younger. Call Beth Kauffmann at 849-9271.
• Minden-Douglas Elks Lodge 2670 Pancake Breakfast and Bingo, 9 a.m. to noon for breakfast, bingo after breakfast at 1276 Pit Road, Gardnerville Ranchos. Open to the public; menus is pancakes, eggs, sausage, juice and coffee. Cost $4 adults, $2 children 11-younger.
• Ellie Wild West Show at the Corley Ranch with the Comstock Cowboys at 2 p.m.