Today – saturday
• Misfits Theater Group of Dayton performs “The Love Child, or Mysteries of Cosmic Awareness,” 8:30 p.m. at Odeon Hall, upstairs at Mia’s Swiss Restaurant. Tickets $8; call 246-9622.
today – sunday
• “Cathouse Afternoon” dinner theater, 6 p.m. today-Saturday, noon on Saturday and Sunday, Mandarin Gardens Chinese Theater on C Street, Virginia City. Dinner seating $25 adults $20 youth, lunch $15 adults, $12.50 youth. Reservations requested; call 847-7150.
• Free Community Ice Cream Social, noon-2 p.m. at “Our Park” in Dayton. Free ice cream, cake, pie and lemonade; sponsored by the Dayton Area Chamber of Commerce. Call 246-7909.
• Barbecue fund-raiser at noon at Rupert’s Auto Body, 2800 S. Carson St., to assist agencies that lost equipment in the Waterfall fire. Bank representatives will accept donations. Call 883-4484.
• Swiss Independence Day celebration at Mia’s Swiss Restaurant in Dayton. Includes 26-member yodel and Alpenhorn group from Switzerland. Tickets $37.50; call 246-3993.
• Public picnic for all who responded to the Waterfall fire, noon-3 p.m. at the Legislative Lawn on South Carson Street. Free hamburgers, hot dogs, watermelon and drinks (donated by Smith’s, Safeway, Scolari’s, Raley’s and Albertsons). Donations accepted; funds used for reforestation. Call Mark Frady at 883-8897.
• Medicare information session from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at the Yerington Senior Center, 117 Tilson Way. Sponsored by Sen. Jim Gibbons.
• Free “Photographic Journey Across Nevada” with native Jack Hursh at 7:30 p.m. at the Nevada State Museum. Call 687-4810, ext. 239.
• New Life Foursquare Church spaghetti feed fund-raiser and silent auction, 6-8 p.m. at the Dayton Community Center on Pike Street. Tickets, information: 246-3345.
• Christmas in July fund-raiser for the Ball family, 4-8 p.m. at the Out-of-Town Park in Fernley. Includes vendors and children’s crafts ($2). Call 575-5567 or 575-5798.
• Dayton Medical Center Grand Opening, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 2450 Highway 50 E. Includes live music, bounce house, barbecued pig roast and more. Call 885-4631.
• Silver City Firemens Ball at Silver City Town Park. Features live music by Stoneground, Kenny Williams and others. Free; call 847-0378.
• Third annual Night in the Country Concert at 7 p.m. features Tracy Lawrence and Emerson Drive at the Lyon County Fairgrounds in Yerington; gates open at 5. A fund-raiser for the Boys & Girls Club of Mason Valley. Food, refreshments available. Tickets $20; call (775) 463-5114.
• Town hall meeting with Sen. Harry Reid, 1-2 p.m. at the Dayton Senior Center, 320 Old Dayton Valley Road. Talks on health care, education and jobs.
• Dayton Regional Advisory Council meets at 7 p.m. at the Dayton Utilities Building, 34 The Lakes Blvd. Call 246-6227.
• USDA Rural Development informational meeting for low-income families in Lyon County to discuss homeownership possibilities and home repair, 4:30 p.m. at Dayton Senior Center, 320 Old Dayton Valley Road. Call (775) 423-7441, ext. 4.
• Silver City Health and Safety Fair, noon-4 p.m. at Silver City Park. Features interactive booths, live music, food, free face painting, balloons and stickers, and informative information from local agencies. Call 847-0742.
• Dayton Youth Football League benefit golf tournament at Dayton Valley Golf Club. Cost $100 person and includes green fee, cart and lunch. Call Reagan Rivera at 690-1098.
• Santa Maria Days in Dayton. Includes vendor booths, parade, melodrama, Wild West show, Ultimate Outhouse and Bed races, Battle of the Bands, horseshoe tournament and dance. Call 246-8080.
• Lyon County Fair and Rodeo at county fairgrounds, Yerington. Features 4-H shows and exhibits, photography, fine arts, karaoke contest, horseshoe pitch contest, BMX bike races, vendors, frog jump, Ty England in concert, parade, carnival, cowboy poetry, rodeo, demolition derby and more. Call (775) 575-6863 or (775) 463-6541.