• Carson City Republican Central Committee’s annual free Fourth of July Picnic and Barbecue, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Fuji Park. Everyone welcome; donations accepted. Food includes hamburgers, hot dogs and salads. Call 841-1800.
• Pops in the Park – Mormon Station in Genoa, 21st annual concert with the Sierra Philharmonic League. Afternoon begins at 1 p.m. with silent auction, entertainment and other activities continue until philharmonic performance. Food and refreshments available; call 267-2403.
• Fourth of July Celebration in Virginia City. Includes a parade at noon down C Street; free concert with David John and the Comstock Cowboys at 6 p.m. in the parking lot of the Delta Saloon and fireworks at dusk. Call Karen Woodmansee at 720-0015.
• Roberts House Yard Sale, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 1207 N. Carson St. Features books, pictures, antique furniture, mirros, decorative glass, vintage jewelry, crafts, collectibles and yard sale items. Call 887-8865.
• Nevada State Railroad Museum Steam-up for the Fourth of July weekend, features the working 127-year-old Inyo, the “Brass Betsy,” from 10-11 a.m. today and Monday. For information, call 687-8323.
• Fourth annual Star Spangled Sparks at Sparks Marina Park. Events begin at 5:30 a.m. with free tethered hot air balloon rides; 6 a.m. Fun Run; 8 a.m. volleyball tournament registration; 8:30 a.m. Model Dairy Milk Carton Boat Regatta, Parade of Boats and Regatta Races, Volleball Tournament; 10 a.m. opening ceremonies; 10:15 a.m. live music with Rick Hayes and American Steel; 12:30 p.m. Sparks Idol competition. Also food, crafts and arts, children’s games, military participation and more. Call 358-1976.
• Fourth of July Independence Celebration at John Ascuaga’s Nugget. Festivities begin at 4 p.m. with a fireworks show at 9:45 p.m. Call 356-3300.
• Fourth of July Celebration in Fernley. Events include parade at 10 a.m. on Main Street; Horseshoe tournament at noon in the Out-of-Town Park; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Show and Shine Classic Car show; 1 p.m. Rock Bottom Band performs; 3 p.m. greased pig contest; 4:30 p.m. watermelon eating contest; 5 p.m. Rick Hayes and American Steel perform; fireworks at dusk. Call Dee Cassell at (775) 575-2601 or Linda Stanley at (775) 575-4986.