Woman who fell from falls identified
July 2, 2002
A woman who plunged 200 into Horsetail Falls on Saturday has been identified as 24-year-old Mary “Grace” Miller of Carmichael, Calif.
Although search teams have not located her body, authorities said she is presumed dead after being swept into the current and dropping over the falls.
Because of the swift current, rescue teams suspended the search for Miller’s body, said Mike Sukau, El Dorado County search and rescue coordinator.
“It’s unsafe because of the volume of water,” Sukau said Monday. “There’s too much turbulence in the water now to make an effort to safely send divers to find her.”
Over the weekend, search and rescue teams from throughout the Lake Tahoe Basin scoured the rocky area below the falls hoping to locate Miller.
According to officials, Miller was hiking with her husband and went into the water to take a picture when she was caught up in the current and went over the falls, located north of Strawberry on Highway 50.
Trending In: Opinion
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sisolak delivers State of the State on Wednesday
- Cab driver held for DUI, Carson City Sheriff’s Office says
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’