Sam’s Best Bets for the Weekend
– Once again, as on every first Saturday of the month, Carson City will hold its “Old Town” Wine walk, with many downtown businesses participating. This month’s theme is Oktoberfest with German beer and bratwursts at Cherokee Scents, 402 N. Curry St. There will also be music, of the oom-pah variety. And remember, there is a horse-drawn carriage to take you from place to place.
-Singer and songwriter Paul Anka brings his classics to the South Shore Room at Harrah’s Lake Tahoe Saturday. Anka performs (live how else?)in the South Shore Room at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are $90 and $125 plus tax. Call (800) 786-8208. He’s been around but still puts on a fine show.
– Sol Jibe takes over the Red Room at the Crystal Bay Casino in Crystal Bay on Saturday, with a free show for the 21 and older crowd. Visit http://www.crystalbaycasino.com.
– Zepparella rocks at the Sawtooth Ridge Cafe in Tahoe City on Friday at 9:30 p.m. Zepparella is four women intent on bringing the passion, the beauty, the aggressions and musicality of Led Zeppelin alive. Got all that? The doors open at 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $15 in advance. This is a 21-and-over venue.
– Grand Sierra Resort and Casino in Reno and ALLCITY Live host a weekend with a live deejay, a chic fashion show and sizzling celebrity hosts. Join hip-hop deejay DJ Echo as he tears up the turntables followed by a fashion show featuring the latest trends from Guess for Friday’s Sounds of Fashion. The night carries on as Germany’s 2006 Playmate of the Year Janine Habeck joins ALLCITY as the host on Friday. ALLCITY Live keeps the amazing weekend going with a live performance from American Idol’s Ryan Starr Saturday on Oct. 6 at the Grand Sierra Resort and Casino. Admission to ALLCITY Live is $20 and the club is open from 9 p.m. to sunrise.
– OK, so it’s Tuesday not this weekend, but it’s fine music. The Mile High Jazz Band with vocalist Jackki Ford presents “Autumn Jazz,” a program of big-band jazz, Tuesday from 8 to 10 p.m., at Comma Coffee. General admission is $5 at the door; $4 for members of the Mile High Jazz Band Association and free for those age 18 and under. Dance instruction fom 6 7:30 is $5 additional. Call June Joplin at 883-2662.
– Western Nevada College music instructor Paul DuFau will perform a piano concert from 6 p.m. MOnday at the Brewery Arts Center’s Performance Hall. The concert will be free for Carson City Music Club members and $5 for non-members. Call 883-1976.
Contact Sam Bauman at 881-1236 or Sbauman @nevadaappeal.cm