This continues RSVP’s regular Sunday column of volunteer opportunities. There are new listings so read on.
1. RSVP needs Home Companion Volunteers to help provide seniors with basic needs and services such as visiting, reading, helping organize correspondence, grocery shopping, etc., drivers to transport seniors that can no longer drive, handyman services, and Lifeline installers (Lifeline is an emergency response system). (RSVP furnishes the van for transportation).
2. Northern Nevada Railroad Foundation needs volunteers for its Carson City administrative office. For more information call 885-6833.
3. Western Nevada College is seeking volunteers to assist with the following positions: teacher’s aide, student course evaluations survey proctor, ccsse survey administrator, observatory support personnel, work study (computing services), assist administrative staff with office duties, assistant with “Don’t Wait, Graduate” program, and much more. Call for details.
4. Nevada State Department of Corrections is seeking a volunteer to manage the inmate store, located at the Nevada State Prison on East 5th Street (outside the gate).
5. Bordewich-Bray Elementary School needs classroom volunteers.
6. Cared 4 Seconds Thrift Store (Carson Cancer Advocates Center) is looking for in-store clerks to assist with customer service and inventory.
7. F.I.S.H. in Mound House is looking for in-store clerks to assist with customer service and inventory.
8. The Legislative Counsel Bureau needs volunteers to act as Legislature Building docents for the Front Lobby during the 76th Session (February through June 2011). Must have an understanding of state government and the ability to memorize materials needed to answer questions. Entails quite a bit of walking. This is non-political. Call for job description.
For more information relative to these exciting volunteer opportunities and others too numerous to list please call Carol at 687-4680 ext. 6. Remember RSVP can pay volunteers out-of-pocket expenses (mileage) and carries insurance for you while on the job.
Volunteering is a great experience for everyone, and you can make your own days and hours to donate to one of these worthwhile programs. Any help is appreciated by them. If you don’t see what you like, call and perhaps we have it!