Where to send help for victims of wildfires
Disaster-response organizations say the best donation for Southern California fire victims is money. Agencies such as St. Vincent De Paul, Goodwill or Salvation Army are better equipped to get quality used goods to needy families, Red Cross officials said. Here are some agencies collecting donations for fire victims, their phone numbers and Web sites:
– American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund: (800) HELP-NOW (435-7669); http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html
– San Diego American Red Cross: (858) 309-1200; http://www.sdarc.org/donate (designate option 2 – San Diego/Imperial Counties Local Disaster Fund – to support the Harris/Witch Creek response operations).
– Orange County American Red Cross: (714) 481-5300; http://www.oc-redcross.org. (Businesses interested in making bulk donations of needed items may call (714) 481-5370.)
– Los Angeles American Red Cross: (800) 435-7669; american.redcross.org/losangeles. Corporations and businesses interested in making in-kind donations may call (800) 746-5463.
– Los Angeles Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals: (888) SPCA-LA1 (772-2521); http://www.spcala.com.
– Goodwill Southern California: (888) 4-GOODWILL or (888) 446-6394; http://www.goodwillsocal.org
– San Diego Food Bank: (866) 350-3663; http://www.sandiegofoodbank.org.
– Salvation Army Southern California: (213) 896-9160; http://www.salvationarmysocal.org.
– Governor’s Office of Emergency Services: (800) 750-2858; http://www.californiavolunteers.org.
From the Associated Press