Young children need a second dose of H1N1 vaccine
Carson City Health and Human Services reminds parents that children under the age of 10 require two doses of H1N1 vaccine, to be administered at least four weeks apart. Parents whose children have not yet been vaccinated; or whose children have received the first, but not the second dose, are urged to arrange for vaccinations.
“Ample supplies are available at the health department and throughout the community,” said Pam Graber, spokeswoman for the health department. “Children between the ages of 6 months and 9 years should receive two doses, with the second dose given four weeks or at least 21-28 days after the first.”
Parents should bring the child’s vaccine record with them when they come for the second dose. If it has been more than a month since the first dose, the second dose is still valid and necessary. The second dose is recommended for children so they develop adequate protection against the 2009 H1N1 flu. Since its identification last April, H1N1 has been the dominant flu strain and is likely to remain dominant for the next several flu seasons.
In Nevada, flu season lasts until May, and minimal exposure continues beyond that. One of the H1N1 high priority groups for serious illness or death includes people under the age of 25, including children.
In late 2009, the city’s health department administered first and second doses of H1N1 vaccinations to students with parental consent forms in public and private schools throughout Carson City, Douglas County and Lyon County. Parents should check their records to confirm both doses.
Carson City Health and Human Services offers H1N1 vaccine free of charge to all from 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1-4:30 p.m Thursdays. It is located at 900 E. Long St., Carson City.
Other free H1N1 opportunities within the month are at the following locations:
• Carson Station,900 S. Carson St., Carson City, 9 a.m.-noon, Jan. 28
• Slotworld Casino, 3879 Hwy. 50 East, Carson City, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Feb. 1.
• Fernley Community Center, Main and Center streets, Fernley, 2-7 p.m. Feb. 2.
• Topaz Lodge and Casino, Topaz Lake 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Feb. 3.
• Douglas County Fire Station 7, 940 Mitch Dr., Gardnerville Ranchos, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Feb. 6.
• Smith Valley Library, 22 Day Lane, Smith Valley, 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Feb. 8.
• Mont Bleu Resort, 55 Highway 50, Lake Tahoe, Stateline, noon-5 p.m. Feb. 11.