Youth & Family Calendar
• Take Off Pounds Sensibly Carson City Chapter open house, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at 138 E. Long St., Suite C. Call 841-4929.
• Carson City Parks and Recreation Commission and Planning Commission meeting, 5:30 p.m. at the Carson City Community Center Sierra Room, 851 E. William St.
• Gold Hill Hotel Lecture Series features Sam Macaluso on the Civil War in Nevada at 7:30 p.m. Buffet available from 5-7 p.m., $15 includes lecture; lecture only $5. Call 847Ð0111.
• Nevada Opera Youth Chorus auditions, 3:30-6:30 p.m. at Sarah Winnemucca Elementary School, 1349 Backer Way, Reno. Call 786-4046.
• Parapsychology discussion group meets at 7 p.m. at the Eddy Street Book Exchange, 1225 Eddy St., Gardnerville. Call 782-5484.
• Carson City Girl Scouts citywide registration, 6:30-8 p.m. at the Boys and Girls Club of Western Nevada, 673 S. Stewart St. Call 841-9070.
• “The Foreigner,” a comedy presented Proscenium Players, Inc., 8 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday at the Brewery Arts Center, 449 W. King St. Tickets $10 PPI/BAC members, seniors and students; $12 general admission. Call 883-1976.
• The Carson Area Coalition on Obesity in Partnership with Raley’s Super Market is sponsoring a Shopping for Health Tour at 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. with Raley’s Registered Dietitian, Earline Bennett. Learn how to shop for nutritious food for your family on a budget. Learn how to stay away from the junk food and still please your family. For information, contact Barbara Howe at 684-3205.
• Fall Farmers Market from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Telegraph Square, corner of South Curry and Telegraph streets. Call 746-5024.
• Free family finance class, 10 a.m. at FISH Education Center, 160 E. Long St., presented by Ron Knecht, teacher of economics at Western Nevada Community College. Continental breakfast provided. Advance registration not necessary. Call 882-8448.
• Punt, Pass and Kick Carson City Competition, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Boys and Girls Club of Western Nevada, 673 S. Stewart St. Open to all boys and girls ages 8 to 15; registration forms available at Boys and Girls Club or online at ppk-nflyouthfootball.com. Call Zane Cole at 882-8820, ext. 28.
• Skateboard competition from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at James Lee Park, 3394 James Lee Park, Indian Hills. Cash prize for best trick in the jam format/open division, along with other prizes. Entry fee $10; parent/guardian must sign waver, helmets/pads required to compete. Call 267-2805, ext. 28.
• Fund-raising dinner for The Smith Valley Youth Camp, 2 p.m. at The Ranch in Wellington. Includes tours and complimentary barbecue. RSVP to James Jackson at 246-7748 or Art Majors at 883-2531.
• 85th annual Genoa Candy Dance Arts and Crafts Faire, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Call 782Ð8696.
• Sertoma Oktoberfest, German food, events for the whole family, dance to live music with Al Gruber and The Bavarian Band at Minden Park. Call 265Ð2507.
• Genealogy Workshop: Cultivating Your Family Tree, 1 p.m. at Historic Fourth Ward School. Call 847-0975.
• High Desert Horsemen’s Autumn Horse Show, 9 a.m. at 11225 Silver Lane, Stagecoach. Includes halter, English and Western performance, driving, fun and speed classes. Visit http://www.hdhorsemen.org or call Margy Hamilton at 629Ð0807.