Andrea Honer debuts at TCU
November 13, 2002
Andrea Honer, a key figure for the Douglas High School girls basketball team in its drive to a runner-up finish at the state 4A tournament back in February, made her debut for Texas Christian University Sunday.
For her part, the 5-foot-9 freshman guard played eight minutes and pulled down one offensive rebound for the Lady Frogs in their 95-59 exhibition victory against RTU Klondaika in Fort Worth, Texas.
The Lady Frogs, rated 20th in the preseason ESPN/USA Today poll, led the Latvian traveling squad 53-23 at halftime.
Honer went to TCU as a walk-on after her graduation from Douglas, where she started in each of her four years and earned all-league and all-region honors during last season.
She is one of two Nevada newcomers on the team. Junior guard Kim Ortega, Nevada 3A Player of the Year in 2000 for Moapa Valley and the 2002 National Junior College Player of the Year, scored 10 points in her debut for the Lady Frogs.
TCU, which captured the 2001-02 Conference USA regular season title, returns four of its top six scorers and four of its top five rebounders from last year’s club.
Trending In: Sports
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Murder suspect in U.S. illegally, authorities say
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit