Angels acquire 3B Alberto Callaspo from Royals
NEW YORK (AP) – The Los Angeles Angels made a move to boost their offense on Thursday, acquiring infielder Alberto Callaspo from the Kansas City Royals for pitchers Sean O’Sullivan and Will Smith.
The Royals activated outfielder Rick Ankiel from the disabled list and had him available for Thursday night’s game against the New York Yankees. Ankiel hit .210 in 19 games before going on the disabled list May 3 with a pulled right quadriceps.
Callaspo, batting .275 with eight homers and 43 RBIs in 88 games, was taken out of the Royals’ lineup before the game and replaced by Wilson Betemit.
Kansas City plans to make another roster move when O’Sullivan joins the Royals. Smith will report to Class-A Wilmington.
Callaspo, an Angels minor leaguer from 2001 until he was traded to Arizona in 2006, will report to his new team Friday for the second game of a four-game series against Texas.
Angels manager Mike Scioscia said Callaspo will bring versatility – he’s played third, second base and shortstop during his career – and give the team a productive bat to help fill the void left by first baseman Kendry Morales’ season-ending broken leg.
Callaspo will become the Angels’ everyday third baseman, with Maicer Izturis – who started at third in Thursday night’s opener against Texas- moving into a utility role.
“What he does in the batter’s box has a chance to be something special,” Scioscia said. “He brings us a lot of depth on some of the things we’re looking at that Kendry’s injury has created. He can hit in a lot of different areas, from the two hole to six or seven. He’s good with guys in scoring position. He’ll be a boost to our offense.”
Brandon Wood opened the season as the Angels’ starting third baseman, but he’s in a 2 for 20 skid that has lowered his average to .168. Wood has started only six games in July.
O’Sullivan is expected to move into the Royals rotation after posting a 2.08 ERA in 13 innings for the Angels. The 22-year-old O’Sullivan, one of the Angels’ top pitching prospects, allowed two hits in six innings of a 10-2 win over the New York Yankees on Tuesday night.
“This wasn’t by any means an easy decision on (general manager Tony Reagins’) part,” Scioscia said. “But to get something, you have to give something up. Sean is a young kid, not even 23 yet. He showed what he was made of (earlier in the week against the Yankees). He has a bright future. We think it’s a trade that will help both organizations.”
O’Sullivan was still trying to let the news sink in as he cleaned out his locker in the visitor’s clubhouse in Arlington.
“I’ve never switched teams before in my life,” O’Sullivan said. “But I’m going someplace where they wanted me. Hopefully I’ll get an opportunity there. I’ve got to let it soak in.”
O’Sullivan got the news from Scioscia.
“He said it was a move we had to make and they really wanted you in the deal,” O’Sullivan said.