A’s hire Carson City Matt Williams as 3rd base coach
November 18, 2017
The Oakland Athletics have hired former San Francisco Giants star Matt Williams as their new third base coach.
The A's announced Friday that Williams will join manager Bob Melvin's staff. Melvin was a coach in Arizona for two seasons late in Williams' career with the Diamondbacks.
Williams grew up in Carson City and graduated from Carson High School in 1983. He played for former Carson High coach Ron McNutt. Williams played his college baseball at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
Williams played 17 years in the majors, beginning with the cross-bay Giants. He also played for Cleveland and Arizona, finishing his career with 378 homers, five All-Star appearances and four Gold Gloves at third base.
Williams was manager of the Washington Nationals from 2014-2015, being fired after the 2015 season.
Williams was fired just a year after being named National League Manager of the Year when he led the Nationals to the NL's best overall regular season record.
Trending In: Sports
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson City lawyer finalist for judicial vacancy