Brekken just misses state tennis berth
October 20, 2002
Carson High’s Josh Brekken just missed out on his bid to advance to the NIAA/U.S. Bank State Championships.
Brekken lost in the third place match to Reno’s Randy Reynolds 4-6, 6-7 (5-7) on Saturday in the Northern 4A Zone Singles Championships at Reno’s Plumas Tennis Complex. The top three from zone advanced to the state event to be held this Friday and Saturday at Plumas.
Galena swept the boys and girls singles titles. Andrew Eklov easily won the boys title, beating Brekken 6-1, 6-0 and Reed’s Miguel Ubilluz 6-0, 6-0.
The Grizzlies’ Julie Burgarello beat Douglas High’s Melissa Oglesby 6-0, 6-0 in the finals. Oglesby clinched a state event berth by beating Sparks’ Kristian Payton 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 in the semifinals.
In boys doubles, Galena’s Daryl Gasca and Taylor Ford lost to Reno Scott Farhendorf and Lukas Cerny 2-6, 0-6 in the finals. Ford and Gasca clinched a state berth with a 6-2, 6-3 win over McQueen’s Michael Stoker and Troy Ayala in the semifinals.
Galena’s Susanna Atherton and Laura Deitch also clinched a state berth, beating Reno’s Katie Long and Irene Rose 6-1, 6-4 in the third place match. Atherton and Deitch lost to Reno’s Ashley English and Madeleine Garcia 6-7 (6-8), 2-6 in the semifinals.
Trending In: Sports
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’