Carson boys soccer beats Galena |

Carson boys soccer beats Galena

Appeal Staff Report

The Carson High boys soccer team stopped specatating and began playing in the second half.

The end result was a 2-0 win over Galena at home on Thursday. Even though the Senators outshot Galena 7-4 in the first half, Carson coach Jason Koop said his team allowed the Grizzlies to dictate the tempo of the game.

“We just kind of waited around,” Koop said. “We weren’t really moving the ball very well. We were just standing and watching them play.”

Both teams had a chance to score on breakaways in the first half, but Carson’s Blake Moreland couldn’t convert and CHS goalie Brandon Briggs was able to stop Galena’s breakaway. “Brandon came out nicely and played it well,” Koop said.

Carson outshot Galena 12-2 in the second half for a 19-6 advantage for the game. In the first four minutes of the second half, Moreland was able to take advantage of his one on one situation this time with the keeper, scoring after making a steal.

The Senators didn’t score again until there was one minute left. Uriel Duran scored on a header off of Brian Duran’s free kick.

“A lot of the 50-50 balls we started winning,” Koop said. “We were pressing hard and playing very well.”

Ryan Lee came on in the last 20 minutes to help Briggs post the shutout. Drew Heller, Matt Tillitt and Jorge Guevara were among those who played well defensively.

Koop also praised the play of his bench. “The subs came in off the bench and did a great job,” he said.

Carson has a tough week ahead, playing in a tourament in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Tuesday through Thursday. The Senators will then have to return to face South Tahoe at home on Saturday, Sept. 15 in a showdown between two top teams in the Sierra League. “Overall I’m happy with what we’ve got,” Koop said. “We’ve got some work to do.”


Ian Gunn scored three goals, Ivan Reyes scored once, Miguel Camacho had a goal and an assist and Matt Nuthall, Skylar Greenman and Gustavo Gonzalez all added an assist for Carson. Goalies Pedro Chavez and David Yanez combined to post the shutout.