Carson hosts NSA state tournament today
July 6, 2002
Coming off a triumph at the Amateur Softball Association (ASA) state tournament two weeks ago in Reno, the Nevada Comets 16 and under softball team will try to add another championship today when they host the National Softball Association (NSA) state tournament at Edmonds Sports Complex.
Teams from around Northern Nevada will compete in four age brackets during the one-day, double elimination tournament. The first games begin at 9 a.m. and championship bracket play is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. at Edmonds.
The Comets, who have compiled an 18-3 record so far during their summer season, play their opener at 9. Win or lose, they come back and play again at 1 p.m.
The Comets, consisting largely of players from Carson and Douglas High Schools, have already qualified for the NSA World Tournament to be held July 20-28 in Plano, Texas. The Comets went 5-0 in the recent ASA tournament and qualified for the Western Regional tournament July 12-13 in Paso Robles, Calif.
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand