Carson softball opens with sweep
March 14, 2002
Brittany Puzey and the Carson High softball team got off to an impressive start to the season on Tuesday at Lassen High in Susanville.
The Senators swept a doubleheader, beating Lassen 5-0 and 11-2. During the doubleheader, Puzey was 6-for-7 with two homes and pitched a shutout in game one.
“Not bad for a freshman,” said Carson coach John Sullivan about Puzey.
In the first game, Puzey pitched a three-hitter while striking out 12. Puzey was also 3-for-3 with a two-run home run in the fourth inning that gave Carson a 5-0 lead. After Puzey singled in the third, Kaylea Dunn belted a two-run double to give the Senators a 3-0 lead.
Lindsey Perondi led Carson, going 4-for-4. Ashley Reese and Lindsay Farnworth also added hits for the Senators.
Dunn was the winning pitcher in the nightcap, throwing a four-hitter while striking out seven. Puzey and Dunn began the game by hitting home runs and Farnworth and Reese singled to give Carson a 3-0 lead in the first.
Recommended Stories For You
In the third, Farnworth walked, Beth Henry doubled, Reese had an RBI single and Puzey singled and scored during a four-run rally.
Puzey was 3-for-4, Kaylee Risi went 2-for-5, Dunn was 3-for-3, Reese went 2-for-3 and Talia Joyce added a hit for Carson.
“We played real well,” Sullivan said. “It was a pretty well-rounded attack.”
Trending In: Sports
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’