Carson wrestlers nearly sweep Galena |

Carson wrestlers nearly sweep Galena

Darrell Moody
Cathleen Allison/Nevada Appeal

Carson High’s wrestling team barely worked up a sweat against Galena on Wednesday night. In fact, the Senators might have gotten more from a regular workout.

The Senators racked up six wins via pins and got four forfeit victories en route to a 70-6 Sierra League win at Morse Burley Gymnasium.

Carson upped its record to 4-0 in league and extended its dual-meet streak to 21 straight with no end in sight. Carson is 14-0 in dual matches, including tournaments.

“I thought they would have more of a full team,” Carson coach Tim McCarthy said after the one-sided affair. “I was pretty confident we would win this duel.

“It’s hard to get up for a match like this. Galena is doing the best they can. They are a very green team. Their top wrestler (Luke Riley, 145 pounds) was injured, though one guy doesn’t make much difference in the score.”

Galena’s only win came at 130 pounds when Mike Wilcoxson, a member of the Carson Bulldogs AAU squad, pinned Ty Welch 25 seconds into the third round.

Pat Craugh (103), Cole McCarthy (112), Ricky Ugarte (119), Austin Brown (125), Nick Schlager (135), Junior Valladares (171) and Ryan Hoskins (215) all recorded pins for the first-place Senators.

All but Hoskins had pretty easy matches and were comfortably ahead at the time of their pins. Hoskins was down 5-0 in the first period after giving up a takedown and 3-point near fall to Joe Delliquardi.

“I wasn’t prepared,” Hoskins said. “I was kind of lackadaisical going out there. I realized (after the first period) that I was going to have to wrestle a match.”

Hoskins cut the deficit to 5-4 with a takedown early in the second period and went ahead 7-5 with a 3-point near fall. He dominated the third period with another takedown and near fall to go ahead 12-5. Delliquardi worked an escape before being pinned with 39.9 left in the final period. The victory gave Carson an 18-0 lead.

“Ryan ends up fighting off his back,” McCarthy said. “He’s been in that position at practice (before). He’s tough enough to fight out of that situation.”

After a forfeit at heavyweight that made it 30-0, Craugh recorded the night’s fastest win when he pinned David Kish with 52.4 left in the first round. Craugh was ahead 5-0 at the time.

At 112 pounds, McCarthy rolled to a 10-2 first-period lead before pinning John Oliver with 46.5 left in the second period to extend the lead to 36-0.

At 119, Ugarte bolted to a 9-0 lead before disposing of Zach Liske with 1:19 left in the second round for a 42-0 lead.

At 125, Brown fell behind 2-0 early, but fought back and had a 6-2 lead when he recorded a pin with 16.4 left in the opening period.

The elder McCarthy said that he wants to see his team against better competition, and he’ll get that on Friday and Saturday when the team travels to Elko for the Spring Creek Invitational.

“There are going to be about 24 teams with at least four from Idaho and one from Oregon,” McCarthy said. “It will be a little better competition than we had tonight; a little tougher than the Douglas tournament.”