Carson wrestlers roll against Hug
December 12, 2002
Six Carson High wrestlers warmed up for a major tournament this weekend in a 70-6 win on Wednesday against a short-handed Hug team.
Hug had only six wrestlers as the Senators won eight matches by forfeit. Carson won four of six matches against Hug.
Nick Shine (215 pounds) won by pin for Carson. “Nick Shine was dominating again,” Carson coach Dean Schmanski said.
Also dominant in wins by pin for the Senators were Allen Wooldridge (189) and Jason Klug (heavyweight). Chris Ceccarrelli (160) was dominant as well in a 19-5 win for Carson.
Carson’s two losses both came in close matches. Micah Whitcome (152) lost 6-4 in overtime and Anthony Nunez (171) lost to Hug’s Apollo Leighton 6-4.
Leighton is ranked No. 5 in Northern Nevada. “Nunez did a good job hanging with him,” Schmanski said.
Recommended Stories For You
Winning by forfeit for Carson were Mark Graham (103), Eric Aguilera (112), Kevin Riggin (119), Tyler Preston (125), Sergio Calvillo (130), Jonas Schenzel (135), Chandler Brown (140) and Loren Wooldridge (145).
Carson will head for a 16-team tournament in Henderson, beginning Friday, in which the Senators will be up against Southern Nevada’s top teams. “It’s going to be great exposure for us,” Schmanski said.
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel advocates, opponents turn eyes to 2019 Legislature