Costella, Hardts strong in Santa Clara
June 29, 2002
Carson High’s Lauren Costella, Julie Hardt and Kate Hardt have all had outstanding efforts so far at the Santa Clara International Swim Meet.
On Thursday, Costella, who competes for the Carson Tigersharks and will be a senior at Carson High, placed second in the 1,500-meter freestyle in 16 minutes, 54.43 seconds. Rachael Burke won the event in 16:41.75.
On Friday, the Hardts, who compete for Reno Aquatics, had a busy day. Julie, who just completed her sophomore year at the University of Georgia, and Kate, who will be a freshman at the University of Minnesota, competed in the 100 and 400 freestyles along with the 400 free relay.
Julie qualified fourth for the finals in the 400 free in 4:21.55. Julie didn’t compete in the finals. Costella qualified 11th for the finals in 4:24.98 and finished 15th in 4:26.15. Kate placed 43rd in 4:33.73.
In the 100 free, Julie placed 18th and had a time of 59.24 in the event. Kate placed 48th in 1:00.57.
Julie and Kate also helped Reno Aquatics to a ninth place finish in the 400 free relay in 4:02.79. The meet continues through Sunday.
Trending In: Sports
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel advocates, opponents turn eyes to 2019 Legislature