Dalton takes 2nd in state
May 18, 2005
Fernley High’s Brad Dalton finished second to lead a solid effort by Lyon County golfers at the NIAA 3A State Championships on Wednesday at Dayton Valley Country Club.
Dayton also had a solid effort as it moved up from fifth to finish fourth in the team standings after Wednesday’s second and final round.
Sparks’ Greg Wenzel won the state title after finishing with a 149 (73-76). Dalton who shot a 3-under-par 69 to lead after Tuesday’s first round, fired an 83 on Wednesday to finish with a 152 for second.
Dayton’s Kevin Goles shot a 156 (77-79) to take fourth and Fernley’s Matt Leestma fired a 157 (75-82) to tie for sixth. Dayton’s Trent Wood shot a 161 (76-85) for eighth.
In the team standings, Virgin Valley won with an 818 (392-426) and was followed by Truckee (842-405-437), Boulder City (848-422-426), Dayton (877-429-448) and Lowry (885-425-460).
Also for Dayton, Shane Castro shot a 177 (83-94), Andrew Palmer fired a 189 (97-92), Lyle McDougall had a 198 (96-102) and Brian Janas had a 211 (113-98). Other local golfers included Yerington’s Ryan Rife, who shot a 170 (77-93).
Trending In: Sports
- Fallon Green Wave quashes seventh-inning rally to win Nevada 3A State Softball Championship
- Girls state track: Carson High’s Pradere wins again
- Carson High’s Pradere wins 1600, Sierra Lutheran dominates 1A at state track
- State track: Sierra Lutheran boys 2nd
- Fallon advances to the NIAA 3A softball championship