Dayton football falls against Yerington 16-6
August 20, 2018
The Dayton football team opened the season on Friday with an encouraging effort before falling, 16-6, at Yerington.
Dayton had a couple of scoring chances when the outcome was still in doubt but couldn't take advantage when Caleb Sumsion broke free on a 53-yard run or when Sumsion ran 37 yards after taking a screen pass from Trent Thompson.
The Dust Devils were still able to hang tough, trailing just 6-0 heading into the fourth quarter.
In the end, Dayton couldn't overcome outstanding games by Steven Keats and Koby Shramek.
Keats ran for 110 yards on 14 carries and scored on an 8-yard run to give Yerington a 13-0 lead.
Shramek kicked three field goals and an extra point and kicked a 42-yard field goal to give the Lions a 16-0 lead.
Recommended Stories For You
Justin Schmidt scored on a 2-yard run with less than a minute left to allow Dayton to avoid the shutout.
Trending In: Sports
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit